We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vienna to jungfraujoch

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Vienna to jungfraujoch

Hi

I'd really appreciate your help. Have spent hours researching this and still have loads of questions.

I will be in vienna early october 2012 and have ~ 5 days free. I'd like to o a scenic rail trip and it seems that the lucerne- interlaken- jungfrau is the most beautiful and this is wot i'd like to . These are my questions:

What is the best way to get from vienna to interlaken? Rail or air? I like scenic train journeys, but is the 11 hr rail trip vienna- interlaken worth it? Is it a good option to perhaps fly out to zurich from vienna and then rail to interlaken, with return to Vienna by rail? I fly into and out of vienna.

I dont want to check in and out of hotels. Is it feasible ( if i decide on rail travel) to do the journey in one sitting and then base myself in interlaken or wengen for 2 nights?

I've read that interlaken is quite busy. I dont want to do touristy things. I like quiet and being in nature. Is wengen a better choice? Want to walk, think, read and marvel at the natural beauty

Is october a good time to visit jungfrau?

There are so many different railpasses, i feel dizzy! Wot is the cheapest option with the best views:) oeb/eurail/swissrail/ half fare card?

I'm a woman travelling alone? Is it safe? ( i come from south africa, so am naturally wary !)

Thank you sooo much

Farzana

Sharjah, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Farzana, i will try to answer whatever i know about:

1. Vienna to Interlaken : I am not aware how scenic this is, but I will personally never take an 11-hr train ride. Lucerne to Interlaken via brunig-Hasliberg (also covered by Golden pass www.goldenpass.ch) is a very scenic route indeed, and zurich to lucerne is only 45 mins ride.

2.It is a good option to base urself in lauterbrunnen or wengen. while lauterbrunnen is a valley, wengen is a beautiful carfree mountain village. Interlaken is like a town - and is indeed touristy with loads of group tours tourists, however, that is also an experience in itself. However, Wengen is ideal for your preference - nature.

3. Early october is a good time to visit jungfrau region - as it is transition time between seasons and there will be less tourists compared to say august/september.

4. Switzerland is really safe - just dont be too adventurous during late evenings.

5. For the passes, I never do the math - i just buy the swiss pass as it is most convenient and prevents the hassle of buying tickets at train stations. you get the flexibility of hop off/hop on on any bus/train/tram in switzerland. However, if you just plan to stay 2-3 days and are travelling alone, your best bet would be half fare card.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Hi devesh

Thats really helpful, thanks! Stayed up all nite researching this and have ( pretty much ) decided. Any advice on the asterisked bits of my intinerary or any other things i should include?

Day 1 fly into zurich,

train to lucerne,

lucerne- interlaken goldenpass route, interlaken- wengen

**** is there a panoramic train?

Base myself in wengen

****have read that most places close at that time of year. Could you recommend reasonably priced accommodation ( want to drink in the views!)

Day 2

Kleinne scheidig, jungfrau

*** do ineed a whole day for this?

***What are my options if weather is poor? This is the main point of my trip :))

Day 3

Gentle walking in wengen/ lauterbrunnen

Would you recommend a visit to Mt titlus

Is there a possibilty of tobogganing?

**** ideas?

Day 4

Return vienna

*** i've heard the trip from lucerne to salzburg is lovely. Should i consider return to vienna by rail? Is there a nice route? Any recommendations for overnight accommodation someplace scenic?

Day 5

Fly out of vienna

I havent booked any tickets etc, so still fairly flexible

***Would it be better to come earlier in october vs. mid-late?

Will i use the swiss pass much if i stick to roughly this itinerary? Is it also valid for jungfrau?

Is there a pass that will save me money travelling in austria and switzerland?

Should i book tickets and rail passes online or purchase there?

Doyou recommend seat reservations?

I' m so so grateful! If ur ever needing info on cape town, south africa letme know:)

Sharjah, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Panaromic Train is there - there is separate charge for it. Check www.goldenpass.ch for complete details.

1. Most hotels in Wengen close by 7th October. However, some like Baren / Falken are open, both are reasonably priced. Google for their respective website.

2. Jungfrajouch trip will take full day. IF the weather is poor, go down to lauterbrunnen and enjoy the waterfalls. Or, go to Interlaken and take the Thun/Brienz cruise. Another option is go to Beatenberg open air museum. Google for further details.

3.Mt. Titlis is not recommended from Wengen as it is 4-5 hours trip one way. Toboganning is available at Heimwehfluh or Pfingstegg. Take your pick after googling the details. I would personally prefer Pfingstegg. You can go to Gimmelwald - beautiful hikes there. Grindelwald First is another good option, you can take the First Flyer and then hike to Lake Buchalpsee.

4. No idea on the Austria journey & Vienna accomodation, I am yet to visit Austria!

In Switzerland, Early october is better as there will be more chances of attractions being open.

For the above itinerary, Swiss pass is not worth. Take the half fare card instead. you will save 50% on Jungfrau trip, and also on all other rides whether train, bus, boat etc. All rail passes can be purchased in Switzlerand, however, you might find it cheaper online on www.raileurope.com. Thats because they sell it in Euros and the conversion to your currency might be cheaper. I have found that during my earlier visit. Seat reservation is required for Golden pass panoramic train, and it is recommended you book it at the earliest. No other reservations are required in Switzerland for your itinerary.

you can try the 2 country pass from eurail: eurail.com/eurail-passes/regional-pass/austr… However, I am not sure how much it will save in Austria.

Hope above helps! :)

Have fun!

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Wow! Tx so much :)

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
684 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Ever so slight correction, Ballenberg is the open air museum near Brienz. Beatenberg, another beautiful location, is above lake Thun. We have never spent a whole day for the Jungfrajouch trip. The chance for clear weather is best in early morning and, for us, we head back to Kleine Scheidegg for lunch after an hour or two at the top. This leaves the afternoon for a visit to Grindelwald, Murren, or a walk through the Lauterbrunnen valley. Have a great trip.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Hi happycanesfan

Beatenberg sounds amazing, will def check it out. Thanks for ur help, this is such a great forum. Think my itinerary is set!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,868 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

> Seat reservation is required for Golden pass panoramic train, and it is recommended you book it at the earliest.

This is not correct. No reservation is required on the Golden Pass trains. You must mistake it for the Glacier Express.

Farzana: simply buy a train ticket via Lucerne and Interlaken - then you get the Brünig Pass rail line which is marketed as part of the Golden Pass route.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Hi altamiro

Really appreciate advice, austria switzerland, here i come. Big thanks :)

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
490 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Slightly out topic, but the train trip Vienna -Zurich is very scenic, especially between Innsbruck and Zurich as the train goes through mountain scenery.

Consider doing at least one way by day train (these are new and comfortable "Railjet " trains) and return by sleeper or flying.

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
30 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vienna to jungfraujoch

Hi riehen

That was my initial idea, but my time is so short, will mean only 2 days in wengen :) . Uv made me think about itagain, so may have to do more research..

Thanks!