We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Lausanne

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Lausanne

Hi,

I'll be visiting a friend in Switzerland from 20-09-12 through 30-09-12 but unfortunately he wont have as much time to show me around. I'm very adventurous and would love to venture out on my own sightseeing trips while he is at work. I speak absolutely no French but I'm not going to let that deter me.

I would welcome suggestions for day trips from Lausanne that will allow me to experience this beautiful country. Note that I have been before and have visited the Cathedral of Lausanne. Unfortunately the Olympic museum was still under renovation, not sure if that is still the case.

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Lausanne

Montreux and Chillon

Bern

Gruyeres

Neuchatel

La chaux Des Fonds and the clock museum, also birthplace of Le Courbusier

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,192 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Lausanne

Hi Angie K,

Some other ideas:

Lutry, just outside of Lausanne, to walk the vineyards of the Lavaux. Walking from Lutry to Cully or Epesses or Rivaz will take about 2h (depending on how fast you walk).

Visit the Vinorama in Rivaz

Spend a day in lovely Morges, with its lakeside park and pretty flowered lakeside promenade.

If you do visit Montreux and Chillon, make sure you walk from Montreux to Chillon (45 minutes) or even as far as Villeneuve (90 minutes); the flowered lakeside promenade is one of the best things about Montreux.

Vevey and its wonderful old town, right next to the lake.

If you go to Neuchatel, be sure to visit the Latenium museum, with replicas of the iron-age villages that dotted the lake.

Gstaad, to walk the town and ascend Wispile and maybe take a walk (2h30) to Lauenensee (take the bus back to Gstaad). Or simply take the train to Schönried or Saanen and walk to Gstaad (each one is about 60 minutes).

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,665 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Lausanne

Definitely Bern and Fribourg maybe en route. bern is magic - here is a link to a walking tour of Bern:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188052-c127052/Ber…

Come here to Martigny and spend a day - visit our wonderful museum, Fondation Gianadda which will still have its summer exhibition on - Paintings from the Merzbacher Collection. Also the Museum of st bernard dogs. And the château de la Bâtiaz and our Roman amphitheatre and other ruins... In fact about the time you will be here the Comptoir Valaisan will be on and you mgiht get lucky and be able to see a cow fight in the amphitheatre.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g580371-s4/Martigny…

Geneva would also make a great destination for a day. Spend the morning walking around the old town and the afternoon seeing a couple of their museums:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

It is entirely possible that the grape harvest will be happening when you are here - we have had some very hot weather recently, and this tends to speed up the ripening of the grapes. If so, time spent walking through the Lavaux vineyards or even coming here to the Valais and exploring the chamoson area might be interesting. You won't be able to visit the wine makers for a tasteing at this time though - but you can always order some local wine in any little café in the vineyards.

Lausanne is a good "hub" for trains... you can go in any direction but south and if you want to go over to France (ie south) you can take a shuttle boat over to Evian!!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Lausanne

Gruyeres (train from Lausanne to Palezieux, then cross under the tracks via the subway, and catch the narrow gauge train to the right of the station building. Take the train to Gruyeres station. There's a modern demonstration cheese dairy by the station, the beautiful walled Medieval town of Gruyeres up on the hill (chateau, HR Giger museum, restaurants and little shops). Then, if you fancy you could go to the chocolate factory at Broc. Take the train back to Bulle station from Gruyeres. Then change to the little train to Broc Fabrique for the chocolate factory.

Or you might want to go to the thermal baths up in Charmey. To do this, take the train from Gruyeres to Bulle and then follow signs for the bus station (on one side of the station). Catch the bus to Charmey, Corbettaz. There is a dot matrix screen that indicates the next stop, so you'll know when to get off. Follow the road in the same direction the bus was going, and then turn left when you see the brown sign with the fountain symbol on it. The baths have a lovely hot indoor and outdoor pool. There are saunas and turkish baths.

Of you might prefer to have a little stroll around Bulle, the pretty regional capital, close to Gruyeres. There is a nice local history museum and plenty of nice cafes, restaurants and shops.

If you'd like a mountain fix, then you might like to visit the Rochers de Naye. To do this, take the train from Lausanne to Montreux, then change onto the little train which takes you to the summit of the local mountains (altitude around 2000m)

To plan journeys, use www.rail.ch and enter your "from" point and your "to" point. It then gives you timings, connections and even platform numbers.

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Lausanne

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I really do appreciate it. With a little research on these places, I'm sure I'll be prepared to venture out!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Lausanne

Have fun and let us know how you get on.

7. Re: Day trips from Lausanne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2013, 10:17