We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

Manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

Is there anything to do for New Year?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

Hi tobytabitha,

Like what?

There is always walking and hiking.

There will be fireworks, music, and dancing at the square in Vevey on 31 Dec.

s

Manchester
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

Is there any celebrations at midnight such as fireworks in Montreux or am I better off staying in Geneva centre itself?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,915 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

There will be less in Geneva than in anywhere else because many people in Geneva leave after 26 dec and go to the mountains!

Most of the large hotels in Montreux put on a special New Years Eve event. They list this, normally, on their sites. It is also possible that there are fireworks on the lake. I will make some inquiries of friends who live there and let you know.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

Hi again,

I just checked for the events calendar on the Montreux website (www.montreux-vevey.com), and the only fireworks that came up were the ones in Vevey. Vevey is very close to Montreux, and I'm betting the busses will be running.

s

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

I agree about Vevey. It's the next town along from Montreux. People gather in the town square and there are beautiful fireworks over the lake. It's a lovely atmospheres.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

I agree about Vevey. It's the next town along from Montreux. People gather in the town square and there are beautiful fireworks over the lake. It's a lovely atmosphere.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,915 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

This is correct. The fireworks are in Vevey and the local bus will run a little longer that evening to allow people from Montreux to go to Vevey and back.

Given that I think that I would stay in Vevey... then I would not have to keep my eye on my watch!

There are other places that have fireworks. Almost all of the ski resorts do, and the ones in Verbier are world-famous and go on for around 2 hours or longer. There is always a huge crowd in the Place Centrale there. But getting there and especially back from Montreux would be problemmatical on New Years Eve without a car and one does not want to be driving that night anyway!!

8. Re: Montreux at New Year...yes or no?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2013, 09:17