We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

My husband and I love Switzerland. We've only been there twice though. We've been to Zurich both times and onto Lucerne, and Bern, up into those beautiful mountains for weeks of hiking in the Oberland and around Zermatt. We've not been to Geneva although we've been around the lake and stayed in Lausanne and Montreaux so we'll probably fly either in through Geneve or out through. But what we need help with is knowing what great locations to go to this summer there. The Italian area or the Austrian area of Switzerland both sound interesting. Any suggestions from ones that are not as novice into those other regions as we are would be so appreciated. Also we love cycling. Thank you so much!!

Germany
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

"Austrian area of Switzerland"?? That's an oxymoron.

I recommend the Engadine around St. Moritz and Scuol.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

Hi Irishwannabe,

I concur with eagle above -- the Engadin Valley would be perfect for you. It's a terrific area to cycle as there are paths all along the Inn River (from Innsbruck down to Maloja). You can rent a bike from one train station (say in Zernez) and return it at another train station (say in St. Moritz).

www.scuol.ch

www.stmoritz.ch

Have fun!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

i agree about the Engadine, but much prefer the Upper Engadine and in particular the villages west of St Moritz - Silvaplana and Sils Baseglia and Sils Maria. Utterly charming. I did not find Scuol charming at all! BUT right next door, should you be bound for the lower Engadine, is Tarasp which is superb!

if you go there do not fly into Geneva. It is a long, long way from there to the Engadine. (We live about 1hr30mins south east of Geneva and it took us nearly 7 hours to drive to Sils!) There are frequent trains to St Moritz from Zürich and from there you can take the postbus on to Sils or anywhere else... Personally I do not much care for St moritz as it is too big, but if you like "bright lights and loud music" then perhaps it is for you. It will take you about 3 hours to get to the Engadine from Zürich by train....

Once there I thoroughly recommend a trip on the Bernina line to Tirano. Stop en route in Poschiavo, which is very pretty. And on the way back at Diavolezza where you can go up and sit and look at high mountains and glaciers right in front of you!!

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

When I read your question, I was thinking of Engadine, and everyone here has the same answer.. I think it's an excellent alternative..

In case you want to consider Austria: In Austria, I love the region around Salzburg.. We had been in last week of May there, and most mountains still had ice on them and it was like a quieter version of Switzerland, with lesser tourists.. There are great hiking paths with spring blooms in the valleys and excellent areas for paragliding.. I don't have much details, but we stayed in a mountain apartment near the village of Mittersill, and the views over there were simply breathtaking.. We drove on the Grossglockner high mountain pass road (one of my favorite drives ever).. There were people who mountain-biked on this road upto the glacier point (atleast 30km one way).. Even the ice caves at Werfen (Eisriesenwelt) is amazing with wonderful views as you hike.. There is also a beautiful castle in that area..

There is much much more to do in this region, such as skiing, lifts, etc. I don't have much info though.. Yet I hope this helps.

Have a great time.

D.

Edited: 26 October 2012, 14:04
Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

Thank you so much! I'm sorry it has taken me so long to find your response. I kept thinking it would show up in my email. : ) I will focus on the area you've both told me about. Thanks again!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

I meant the area of Switzerland, nearer Austria. The Engadine is a great suggestion. Thank you so much!!! I'm going to focus on that. We bought our tickets finally and will fly in and out of Zurich but it looks like it will be easy to train over to the Engadine and perhaps even rent bikes through the train co when we want to explore that way and not necessarily always hiking. Thank you so much for your response and advice. Sorry it took me so long to find your message! Cheers, Darla

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

Thank you so much! This gives me more to think about if I decide to branch out from the Engadine after a couple of weeks. Thanks!

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

Brilliant information! Thank you!!! I have seen many of your responses out on the forums and really appreciate your advice. We're more about cowbells than nightlife so perhaps St Moritz will be a place to see but not to stay and we'll find a little apt somewhere higher up in the Upper Engadine. We discovered just the other day in our planning, the Swiss Natl Park and thought it would be good to stay in villages near there but with train access as we're not planning on renting a car. It seems everything is accessible in Switzerland by bus or train - love it! Thank you again!! Darla

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

Darla -

The National Park is in the Lower Engadine, as far as I know! And as for cowbells - in winter cows are in their barns and especially as high up as the Engadine they are not grazing in the meadows. I don't know when you are coming, but to see cows grazing and thus hear their bells ringing (more like "gonging" really!) you need to be here in spring and early autumn. In summer (late June to mid Sept usually but depends on the area) they are on the alpages - ie high up.

10. Re: Summer in Switzerland, beyond Berner Oberland, and Zermatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2014, 05:15