We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit Switzerland

Denton, Texas
Level Contributor
26 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
best time to visit Switzerland

We visited Switzerland in May this past year and looking to come again but would like to know what it better month to visit Switzerland - Sept or Oct?

186 replies to this topic
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,105 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hi Cynthia J,

It depends a bit on exactly where you would like to go.

Generally, I think the mountains are good through September, and the lakes and plains are good through mid-October. Some places, like Montreux and Lugano, will probably be ok through October.

So, I guess I would aim for the last week in Sep or the first week in Oct.

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,107 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

September and the first half of October usually have graat weather. Not for nothing that the grape harvest happens in early October each year!! I would suggest any time from mid September to mid Oct as being a really good time to visit. Our schools go back in late August. In other countries they can be later which is why I would wait till mid sept. I personally frequently travel in the mountains - this year I was in the Engadine - in the first two weeks of October. the trees are beginning to change colours, the nights are cool and crisp in the mountains and the days warm and sunny. Perfect!

for the lakes and the towns any time to the end of October is usually fine...

3. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 14:36

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,248 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

A maybe interesting option: late September - early Oct in Ticino. We had a wonderful time with temps around 25' in Locarno and surroundings, with only last 2 days some clouds and rain. And made a lovely day trip to the higher Alpine area (Domodossola-Brig-Riederalp); in Brig it was already back to 15' and Riederalp tons of fresh snow. So a nice way to combine, from Locarno you can also move over the Gotthard to similar areas.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

We are toying with the idea of visiting Switzerland during the Christmas vacation and was wondering if it's a good time? Will most place be close for Xmas? How will the weather be like? Your reply is greatly appreciated :)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,107 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Depends where you are.

After shops close on 24th December at about 1700 things get very very quiet in the towns and cities. In some cantons both 25th and 26th are holidays. Everything is closed on Sundays (shops not museums!).

In the ski resorts in the mountains everything will be open and "humming". Christmas is a very very busy period. If you are considering this Christmas it may well be too late to get a reservation - and in any case most hotels want bookings of 7 nights, from Sat to Sat. (21-28 or 28 Dec - 4 Jan)

Weather - usually low fog on the plain topping out at about 1000m. Sometimes breaking up by lunchtime and sometimes not. Cold (0° as a high) and damp. In the mountains, unless it is snowing, you are above the fog line and are in the sunshine. Very cold (down to -20° and below at night depending on the altitude and location) and with daytime highs certainly not above 0° but feeling much warmer because of the sun. If it snows then it is like being inside a ball of cotton wool. You see very little but it is very pretty. The days right after a large snowstorm are usually crystal clear and spectacularly beautiful.

New Delhi, India
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hi,

I want to visit Swiss in May end and plan to stay in Bern so that it will be easy to travel everywhere. Apart from Jungfrau and Mt Titlis, what are other places that i can cover?........Hows the weather will be like during that period. Thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,107 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

First - our country's name is Switzerland. We, the people from here, are "Swiss" - and so are army knives etc!

Second - Bern is a reasonable base for some places but not for all. Zürich, Basel and Lausanne are an hour away. Thun is 20 minutes. But to get to Engelberg (for Titlis) it will take a while. 2 hours each way in fact. And when you add time at the top etc that is a full day excursion. Same goes for the Jungfraujoch - roughly 3 1/2 hours each way from Bern

I would suggest you perhaps choose two bases and then shortish trips from each. Take a look also at Luzern and Montreux. Use their tourist offices websites to see what is on offer and what interests you. If you want to combine different regions, then choose either Luzern or Bern (German speaking) and Montreux (French speaking).

How long do you have here?

as for weather at the end of May - could be summer (we hope!) with temperatures in the mid 20s. Could be cold and wet (we don't hope!) with temperatures around 15. We never know. We have had a wonderful spring with warm sunny days. Now it is cold and wet and snowing in the mountains. Impossible to say in advance I am afraid. Alpine weather forecasts are not reliable until roughly 2-3 days before and even then can change abruptly.

Copenhagen, Denmark
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

Hi @Hambagahle,

I would like to go Switzerland this May, which week I should go? I love to travel to villages like Annecy or Yvoire, then Berne, which is the best airports I should choose? Thank you

Copenhagen, Denmark
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: best time to visit Switzerland

and how many days I should spend for these villages. thanks

Reply to: best time to visit Switzerland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted