We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring Car in Switzerland

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Hiring Car in Switzerland

Hello,

Me and my wife are planning to visit Switzerland in first week of May and will be there for three days.

I intend to stay Basel/Zurich and hire a car to roam around in nearby areas.

I hold an Indian Passport and Indian Driving License, and currently stay in Singapore.

I would like to know the conditions and eligibility to hire a car.

Is driving around in Switzerland tiring? I intend to cover, black forest and Rhine falls in a day.

Remaining days, I am planning to visit Mt Titlus, Lucerene. Can this be covered in 2-3 days by car?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Shomil

Mentioned in this post
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,242 Reviews
from US$152.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,046 Reviews
from US$164.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
364 Reviews
from US$252.30*
Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
389 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring Car in Switzerland

My experience has been that driving in Switzerland is easy, but parking is difficult and expensive. We seldom hire cars - the public transport systems are excellent.

Mentioned in this post
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring Car in Switzerland

Shomil try looking at the Swiss Rail site for an idea of the ease of travelling around. Parking in many if not all Swiss towns is difficult and expensive. I don't drive and I have found the Swiss public transport system works extremely well, it is usually the case that if the train doesn't go there then the post bus will. Add to this the advantages of the various Swiss Travel Passes to me it's a better option. .

Mentioned in this post
Swiss Holiday Park
Swiss Holiday Park
329 Reviews
Morschach, Switzerland
Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring Car in Switzerland

wikitravel.org/en/Switzerland#Get_around

http://wikitravel.org/en/Switzerland#By_car_2

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,493 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring Car in Switzerland

We drive on the opposite side of the road and our traffic laws are different from yours and strictly enforced, even for foreigners. On the spot fines are common. I would suggest that if you can, take the trains. Much simpler and much more fun than trying to find your way around a new country with signs in. Language you don't understand, and indeed signs you have not seen before.

5. Re: Hiring Car in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2014, 06:15