We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family summer trip Switzerland

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Family summer trip Switzerland

We are looking for 8th July for 14 days approx. dates flexible. I have looked at all recommended sites and now want to go everywhere in Switzerland! I would like the sterotypical Swiss holiday. Chocolate, fondue, train journeys, open hills, cows with bells and cuckoo clocks as well as exciting activities for the kids. 10+14. (glacier trip, forest high trails, toboggan runs...) all this seems to involve a lot of travel or can we split over two stops and do day trips? not sure how to get there either. Fly,drive or train through Europe? 14 night trip or thereabouts. Happy to caravan, b and b, self cater or house swap. Not looking for luxury but like clean accommodation and nice surroundings. organised trips ok but equally delighted to explore ourselves. Can anyone help please at least start me in right direction!

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,210 Reviews
from US$161.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,027 Reviews
from US$170.60*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
355 Reviews
from US$245.70*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
662 Reviews
from US$106.20*
Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Family summer trip Switzerland

OK Sue First have some idea of which area you would like visit. Like many I like the Berner Oberland, with Interlaken at its centre. Haver qa look at the Interlaken website www.interlaken,ch you will find the hotels listed there and quite honestly you will find it difficult to find a bad hotel. There are camping sites and caravan sites as well, you may prefer to go out of town. Another good idea is to read some of the guide books available, either from the library or buy one or two my personal favourite is the Lonely Plant guide the latest was published last year so prices will be fairly accurate. Then you may want to come back and ask questions.

By the way do have a look at the Swiss Rail site www.sbb.ch/en and see what rail passes are available, if you decide to buy one of them then you can get a Family Rail Pass which means your children will go free everywhere, even the Jungfraujoch trip.

Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family summer trip Switzerland

Thanks so much, I'll get the lonely planet book tomorrow and then no doubt will ask more questions!

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family summer trip Switzerland

After a short research in the internet I found the following activities for you and your kids(just keywords) in diffrent areas:

Lucern: Hikking everywhere, Mt. Pilatus , Mt. Rigi, Klewenalp, Traffic Museum, toboggan run and rope park at the Pilatus, wellness at the Mt. Rigi, boat trip on the lake of Lucerne, football national league FC Luzern, factory of glas at Hergiswil, foxtrail – paper chase,

Bernes Oberland: Hikking everywhere, toboggan run and indoor rope park at Grindelwald, First Flyer at Grindelwald, Mt. Jungfrau, Mt. Schilthorn, First, castle of thun, waterfalls of trümmelbach, Aare Gorge at Meiringen, Canyoning at Interlaken, River Rafting at Interlaken, st. Beatus caves at the lake of thun, tropical house at frutigen, swiss open air museum Ballenberg

Engadin/ St. Moritz: hikking everwhere, Corvatsch, Muottas Muragl, e-bike-tour, scooter (footboard) at Ftan to scuol or margusn to celerina, mountain biking, Bernina Express, wellness area scuol, lake of sils, inline skating, swiss national park at Zernez, mountain biking, barefoot trails in Celerina, rope park at Pontresina, handy safari maloya,

Montreux: this would be my suggestion as a forth destination, but this one I don’t know except the castle of chillon.

I think eyerbody will found something of its interests.

Lucerne – Bernes Oberland: this is the first part of the Golden Pass Route

Bernes Oberland – Montreux: this ist he second part of the Golden Pass Route

Montreux – Brig: normal train

Brig – St. Moritz: This ist he famous Glacier Express. Quite a long trip, but scenic.

Enjoy your trip

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Alicante, Spain
Level Contributor
61 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family summer trip Switzerland

hello Sueg71,

After traveling to Switzerland in 2009 and 2010 (with young kids), and now planing our third trip let me give you some advices:

1.- Take the Swiss pass. more info here:

For 2 adults and your children (10 and 14 yrs) and a Swiss pass for 15 days will be CHF 1286,00

We used Swiss pass for a 7 days trip. We used everyday and just had to pay a difference in the ticket to Jungfraujoch and for the Pilatus (i think)

2.- You can stay in Bern and visit from that city the west part of the country (so we did), keep 2 or 3 night in Interlaken to visit Jungfraujoch and surrounding towns. In Interlaken try to do paragliding (amazing!!) and spend 2 or 3 nights in Zurich for central part of the country.

3.- In that season would be great to visit a waterpark near zurich.. Alpamare, check it out on the web.

finally, breathe and eat every moment in that wonderfull country.

Level Contributor
727 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family summer trip Switzerland

I have been all over Switzerland with my young family( now 22, 21, and 12) for the last 2 decades!

I would never rent a car. Get a travel pass. With some, children under .16 travelling witha parent are free. the ricksteves web site has very detailed info on those.

We have always either stayed in Family rooms in the clean, safe youth hostels, cooking meals in the kitchen, or rented holiday apartments thru Interhome or HomeAway.

I would consider a max of three bases, but if you go with apartments , most require a week. Favorite are Grindelwald for hiking, cablecars, and views; Luzern for medieval ramparts, the old town, the lake steamers and the fabulous Swiss Transport museum, and Zermatt for views, and hikes as well.

You can't really go wrong, the entire country is so scenic.

the hostels in Grindelwald and Zermatt are great but you have to book well ahead.

have fun!

6. Re: Family summer trip Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2014, 07:16