We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

I've been thinking of going Chur to Andermatt then to Lucerne. But looking at rome2rio it shows that you have to go via Goschenen and trains from there only leave every 2 hours. Also, it shows the train starting in Hospental rather than Andermatt. We'll be getting the Glacier Express from Chur to Andermatt, so Hospental isn't very convenient. It seems that this isn't a sensible route to take. Am I right?

The alternative is to get off the Glacier Express in Brig and go to Spiez, which is a very quick and direct trip. This was my original plan, but then I started to think I'd like to see Lucerne.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

Obviously this website is not very reliable. Better check www.rail.ch - there you can see that there are trains from Andermatt to Lucerne which depart every hour, with a change in Göschenen. This route is scenic and absolutely sensible IMO!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

Ok, thanks. So which do you think would be best on the 16 and 17 May - 2 nights in Lucerne or 2 nights in Spiez/Interlaken before we take the Golden Pass line to Montreux?

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

Both options are attractive - depends what you prefer:

Lucerne is a charming town with a nice medieval core. And its lake is one of the most beautiful ones of our country.

Spiez is more of a village in nice setting, Interlaken a tourist town. Both of them don't offer many attractions themselves, but they are ideal if you want to visit the mountain attractions of Bernese Oberland like Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn. If this is your main interest, then you could as well stay in one of the alpine villages, such as car free Wengen or Mürren.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

I'm really torn between the two. If we had more time we could see both, but we don't. I like the idea of seeing the Bernese Oberland but we'll only have one day, and if it's raining we won't see much.

On the other hand, if it's raining and we're in Lucerne we can still walk around the old town etc.

I think Wengen or Murren would be too far to go on the day we leave Chur. We wouldn't get there until very late. Otherwise one of those places sounds lovely.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

Hi Oceanskybeach,

Personally I would opt for Luzern, the train from Andermatt down to Goeschenen is amazing, passing the famous Devils bridge and the spot where the Russian army came to the help of the Swiss. The change for Luzern is straightforward. Andermatt itself is also worth a couple of hours exploring (restaurant Sonne very nice) and there are lockers at the station. Have a great trip.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

Hi UriPower

Thanks for your advice. Another thing I'm wondering is whether to stay just one night in Chur. It doesn't look all that interesting, and that would give us 3 nights in Lucerne or the Bernese Oberland.

Is the train trip from Andermatt to Lucerne better than the Glacier Express from Andermatt to Brig which we'll miss if we go to Lucerne? On the other hand, if we go to Lucerne, we'll see the Golden Pass line from Lucerne to Interlaken which we'd miss by going Chur - Brig - Spiez - Interlaken.

I want to decide soon which way to go so I can reserve the Glacier Express and a hotel.

7. Re: By train from Andermatt to Lucerne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 06:16