We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

Hi there

I have done a lot of reading and I am going cross eyed!

I am visiting Mt Pilatus & Jungfrau in June this year. My partner and I were going to ski but we have decided against at the risk of injury so early in a big euro trip.

We still want to enjoy the snow and want to go toboggoning. From what I have read it seems as though Lauterbrennan is an option for this?

Has anyone done toboggoning there (or anywhere in Switzerland in summer) in summer? From what I have read I believe Pilatus has no snow so Thays out, but on a day trip to Jungfrau it's an option.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

Tobogganing in Lauterbrunnen in June will be impossible, there is a summer toboggan run at the top of the First in Grindelwald and from one of the gondola stops on Pilatus, otherwise you will be able to snow toboggan at Jungfraujoch.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

Hi there! Thanks for your reply! :)

So to snow toboggan - are you saying I can do this in jungfrau? I thought jungfrau was in Lauterbrennan?

I will do the summer no snow toboggoning in Pilatus too.

Appreciate your time.

Thanks

Justine

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,899 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

> I thought jungfrau was in Lauterbrennan?

This map might help.

jungfrau.ch/fileadmin/…So_Pano_JB_Pass.jpg

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

Good idea to decide not to ski. It's June and outside the ski season :-)

Toboggan on Jungfrau is sort of a round disc like a TV satellite dish that you sit on to slide down a little bump, then you climb back up again and slide down again. Just how much puff you have at altitude determines how many times you can walk back up again. Either that or you stop earlier when everything you are wearing is full of snow and it's started to melt inside your clothes and boots.

It was fun, I managed two runs of about 5m each but then decided that snow just got into too many places.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 15:30
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

Thanks for all of your replies Swissaholic, Skitandoori and Swisslover! :) And that map is great Swissaholic!

So can someone please tell me if this plan sounds like it could work:

- Fly into Zurich (Day 1)

- Train straight to Lucerne from Zurich Airport

- Spend day sightseeing in Lucerne and stay overnight in Lucerne (Night 1)

- Day trip to Pilatus from Lucerne (do summer toboggan whilst there) (Day 2)

- Stay overnight in Lucerne (Night 2)

- Train to Grindelwald next morning (Day 3)

- Day trip to Jungfrau same day - whilst in Jungfrau do summer snow toboggoning (the disc thing?)

- Stay overnight in Grindelwald (Night 3)

- Train to Milan from Grindelwald (Day 4)

From the research I have done, and from your replies, it seems as though this plan is definitely doable? I know that my stay in Switzerland is short but it's all I have!!

Appreciate any responses, suggestions or input you might have!

Thanks again

Justine

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

Lucern to Grindelwald is a fairly long stretch, with a change of train at Interlaken. Takes around 3 hours. You then have a 2 hour trip up Jungfraujoch. Between these you'll probably want to book in somewhere and drop your luggage off as well.

And if the weather isn't good there's really no point in paying all that money to go up anyway. Jungfraujoch is often clear in the morning, but the clouds can roll in early afternoon: just when you're arriving. Personally, I'd get a weather report before leaving Lucern, and if not favourable, find other things to do in the area.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 04:47
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

Hi there, thanks for your response!

I was planning to stay in Grindelwald overnight, and leave my stuff at that hotel for my day trip to Jungfrau. So that would be ok wouldnt it?

Thanks for that tip on the weather, I did read about that in my early on research.. Is summer usually ok? It will be June when we go - or does it still just depend on the day?

Thanks again.

Justine

8. Re: Toboggoning in Lauterbrennan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 04:15