We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss pass

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Swiss pass

Hi, we will be travelling from Italy to Switzerland. And we will also be purchasing a Swiss Pass for our stay in Switzerland. So when i book my Italy-Switzerland train ticket now from my home before i leave for Europe, can i make use of the Swiss Pass benefit for the Switzerland stretch of the journey and if possible, how do i do it?

thank you.

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss pass

Yes. Your Swiss Pass is valid from the border (first border station in Switzerland).

If your pass has set days of travel, then you do not need to validate it. If your pass has flexible dates then you need to validate it for the first date of use - If you are on an international train then you can ask the conductor to validate it for you - If you get off at the border (ex: to change trains) then you should validate it at the station ticket counter.

Look here: swisstravelsystem.com/jp/home/support/freque…

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss pass

Hi canswiss,

thank you for the reply. but i am not in doubt about activating the Pass. I was wondering about the cost of the ticket from italy to switzerland. if my journey has any connections in switzerland, then i should be able to avail of the swiss pass as i have paid for it. so when i am booking for the train journey which begins in Italy, and for which i will be paying for the complete journey from my departure in Italy to my Final destination in Switzerland how do i make use of the swiss pass for my switzerland stretch? I mean why should i pay for the journey to Trenitalia when i have already paid for the swiss stretch .

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss pass

Book your tain tickets from your departure station to the first station in Switzerland on that route. For example from Milan to Chiassio. You will need to check the exact station I haven't travelled this route.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss pass

Thank you Swisslover.

one other question regarding the swiss pass is - it says swiss pass entitles me to free travel on all forms of public transportation i.e. Bus, train and boat. But how do i know which is "public' and which is not. when i plan things from home now?

for the trains i go to sbb.ch

is there any official website for the bus and boats too. for eg when i travel by bus or boat to chillon castle, will that be public transport? so will i travel free if i have the swiss card?

Thank you.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss pass

Hey all,

One more big doubt about the Swiss Pass

Am i right in making the following conclusion:

Swiss Pass - This is for Consecutive days and gives me free travel on ALL of those days.

Swiss Flexi Pass - this is for non-consecutive selected days. This gives me free travel ONLY on the 1st and last of my selected days and the days in between, i get 50% off on the public transport.

And what is a Half Fare Card?

We will be a family of four - 2 adults, one youth and one child < 16 yrs. and we will be doing 4 days in Switzerland covering only the region from Montreux to Interlaken on the Golden Pass LIne. and Chillon Castle and Chocolate Train.

so which one will work out to be better - the Swiss Pass, the Swiss Flexi Pass or the Half Fare Card?

Please advise.

Thank you.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,654 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiss pass

For the purposes of the Swiss Pass virtually all transport is considered 'public'. You can also get boat and bus times at:- www.sbb.ch

Validity map:- sbb.ch/content/sbb/en/desktop/bahnhof-servic…

Here is a link to the boats on Lake Geneva.

www.cgn.ch/en-gb/accueil.aspx

Don't confuse the Swiss Card with the Swiss Pass. They are two different types of pass.

>Swiss Pass - This is for Consecutive days and gives me free travel on ALL of those days

Yes. You will only get a discount on most mountain transport.

>Swiss Flexi Pass - this is for non-consecutive selected days.

This gives 'free' travel on the first and last selected days and days of your choice in between depending on whether you have purchased a 3, 4, 5 or a 6 day pass. On non-selected days the pass gives a 50% discount.

The Half Fare Card gives 50% off almost everything.

swisstravelsystem.com/en/tickets-en/ticket-o…

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiss pass

Thank you swissaholic.

went to the jungfrau website. and to book tickets . but how do i make use of my swiss pass when i book. there was no option asking me if i had any pass. in the destination list there was something called as jungfrau...Rdf and Jungfrau...Rdf 2. i thought this might have something to do with reduced fare...but wasn't sure.

can u help me.

thank you

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
638 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiss pass

It is best not to book Jungfraujoch tickets until your day of travel. The weather could be bad and your time and money would be wasted. There will be webcam monitors at the train station to show the weather at the top. You can buy these tickets at the closest train station on your day of travel. Be sure to show your swiss pass when buying the tickets to receive the discount. Have a great trip.

9. Re: Swiss pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 06:19