We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations questions

Singapore
12 posts
Save Topic
Accommodations questions

Hi all

Planning for 1+ week in mid-June in Switzerland (probably visit the usual Zurich, Lucerne, Interlaken) before heading to Germany.

Few questions about accommodation:

1. Is it possible to walk-in (and not pre-book)? We like to maintain the flexibility of changing the itinerary on the fly. Is mid-Jun weekdays peak season? Also I saw many hotels in Google map not listed or any website/contact.

2. What's the usual practice for accommodations to allow 2 young children bunking in the same room with the parents? Besides paying the city tax.

3. IS it a practice here to allow last-minute deals on walk-in at the front desk?

Thanks

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations questions

1. It is possible to walk-in, the risk being not to find an available room. With children, I am not sure I'd run the risk. And I would not do that in Geneva where some evenings, all hotels are full because of a convention (something not visible as not advertised).

2. This is requiring adding two beds in a room. It is not always possible. Again better to contact hotels ahead of the visit.

3. Many hotels in Switzerland have fixed and publicised prices for their rooms. If you walk in, you'd simply pay the normal price. In addition, bargaining is not really part of the Swiss culture.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations questions

To add more for question #2, the two beds in the room would need to both be double beds. Highly unusual. Some hotels have "family rooms" that have these features but, of course, cost more. And rare. If you need this you definitely need to book ahead.

Singapore
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations questions

Thanks Swissdiver & kimsanjose for your replies. I will try to pre-book the 1st 1 or 2 nites. The reminder of the nights, can i walk-in and book at the tourist office? WOuld they entertain last minute booking?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,456 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations questions

Any hotel would be happy with walk in business (well at least during the day, may-be less at 3:00am :-)), as it would with phone or online (when available) reservations. Regarding the tourist office, not all are facilitating hotel bookings.

5. Re: Accommodations questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 07:18