We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM cards with magnetic strip

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
ATM cards with magnetic strip

I have heard that a lot of Europe uses ATM cards with chips vs magnetic strip. Will there be a problem if my card does not have a chip? We are going to Lausanne, Montreux, Interlaken, Bern, Lucerne, and Appenzell.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

I have no problem with my US debit cards issued by my credit union here in Anchorage - to my regret when I get home! ;-)

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

Thank you for your response.

We didn't have trouble with our credit cards, but that was in 2007. We had heard that things have changed! I'm sure it depends where in Switzerland, and in the neighboring countries, you're going. Were you there recently, may I ask?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

Just 4 months ago - I think all ATMs in Switzerland take debit cards and the ATMs in England do as well.

Silverdale...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

Thank so much! We did recently get one card with RFID, just in case, but we had reserved our hotels with different cards (not RFIDs) earlier in the year.

Wish I didn't have to travel only in July or August! I bet it wasn't so crowded for you.

Thanks again!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

Have a great trip!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

OOPS - do NOT forget to tell your bank(s) and credit cards that you will be travelling - they will deny you if you don't because the computer thinks your card is somewhere it isn't normally!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

If your card doesn't have a chip and you don't have a PIN then the merchant will simply ask you to sign for the purchase. The one place that you can't do this is at a garage when you use the automat to fill your car... but since I suppose you won't be driving this is not a problem!!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

I am searching this topic because I am concerned about being able to get CASH from ATM's in Switzerland, Italy, Germany, and France. I am travelling April-June 2014. The poster from Alaska says he had no trouble with his Debit card, and one can only assume it has a magnetic strip. The US is way behind on this. I lived in Mexico from 2007-2013 and my Mexican bank cards there had the chip. So even Mexico is ahead of the USA in that technology. Neither here nor there. I would just like to hear from someone who has been in Europe RECENTLY and what their experience was using US-based credit cards and debits card with the magnetic strip only.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

No problems at all in Germany in Nov 2013.

Indiana
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM cards with magnetic strip

We were traveling in Europe (I think it was in Copenhagen train station) in 2012 and they would only take a credit card with chip or debit card with pin. I have never been to Switzerland.