We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

Hi all

Does anyone know at which platform this arrives at or does it vary?

Also is three minutes totally unrealistic to make a connection to another train? I suspect the answer will be yes, but if we were at the front of the arriving sleeper with bags ready to run?!!

I think our connection will leave from platform 6

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

Sorry, I should have added it's the sleeper from Amsterdam

Many thanks.

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

Hi Fred, no need to be cynical. The arrival platform varies, and is dependent on traffic at the station on that particular morning. It could be any track from 3 to 18 (all upper tracks).

Standing at the front of the train is not necessarily the best place - the middle of the train arrives at the cross track tunnel of the station, and this is actually faster to change platforms (assuming that you can carry your bags)... and finally... 3minutes is very short. Th Swiss trains have an excellent record for on-time-ness,... but the CNL starts in NL and travels through DE - both countries with less stellar on-time records. Trains from DE are often up to 10min late. I would not count on being able to make a 3min connection.

I hope this helps.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

Thanks for that. I thought that may be the answer. The alternative is to get off at Basel and catch the same connection from there. Just means getting up earlier and less time for breakfast on the sleeper!!

Thanks again.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

Depending on what your connection is, you can simply take a later train (usually 1/2 or 1 hour later) and get a coffee in between

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

Yes exactly, altamiro is right. Forget the stress of the three minute connection, have breakfast in Zurich and get a later onward train. An hour is the very most you will have to wait.

Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

You are both correct. But my ultimate destination on that day is Rome. I decided I wanted to go via the Bernina route without arriving in Rome at midnight. So I need to be on the 15.10 from Tirano, which means being on the 09.58 from Chur. I guess I'll have to change at Basel....but at least there will be no panic.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

That's quite a marathon :-) Sounds like a good one though!

8. Re: City Night Line sleeper to Zurich.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:16