We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To buy train tickets online or not?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
To buy train tickets online or not?

Can anyone please tell me if it is easier to buy train tickets online or should I just wait until I am in the train station to get the tickets? This is just in case I get the wrong tickets online and perhaps it would be better to speak to someone at the station who can tell me what tickets to get. Do most people speak English? Many thanks for your help! (I have already worked out that the Swiss Pass, Half Fare cards, etc. are not cheaper than if I get individual tickets)

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,197 reviews
from US$161.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from US$173.80*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
352 reviews
from US$250.30*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
655 reviews
from US$108.20*
Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To buy train tickets online or not?

Just buy the tickets on the day. You will find most of the tickets clerk speak English. You can also buy a ticket from the multi lingual ticket machines.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To buy train tickets online or not?

To mostlybytrain,

Many thanks for your reply! I will buy the tickets on the day as advised then. Appreciate the help!

Thornton, New...
Level Contributor
969 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To buy train tickets online or not?

Do the automated ticket machines accept credit cards? If so, must they be the chip and pin type?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
40 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To buy train tickets online or not?

We visited the lake geneva region in may and had no trouble buying passes at the train station connected to Geneva airport. The ticket seller spoke english and they accepted our non chip visa creditcard. We bought the lake geneva regional pass for 3 days unlimited travel in the region, covering geneva to zweissman. The regional pass is a cheap alternative if you plan to explore a specific region of Switzerland. We paid about 270 usd for our two passes. You can also buy tickets outside of the region for half price with a regional pass. Check maps for details as to which routes are covered for each region, enjoy your trip.

5. Re: To buy train tickets online or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:17