We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Express

Green Lake...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Express

We are staying in Lausanne and would like to take the Glacier Express from Visp to Chur. I went to the website to reserve seats and was asked to choose either the 906 or 908 train. Is there a difference in the trains or is it only the time table?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,586 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Express

The destination beyond Chur might differ, but upto Chur you get exactly same quality etc. Hence choose which time is best for you.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,112 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Express

There is NO difference, at any time on the ride between Zermatt and St Moritz, between trains 906 and 908. It is only train 902 that goes to davos instead of St Moritz... so take either!

Green Lake...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Express

Thank you for your prompt response. I've been following your posts on this forum and you have been very helpful in planning our trip. I will go ahead with the reservations. When we arrive in Geneva, we will buy the Swiss Pass. So, I understand that we do not have to buy tickets for the Glacier Express. We just board in Visp and show our Swiss Pass. Is that correct?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,586 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Express

Yes Swiss Pass _plus_ the compulsory reservation for your seats, which does cost a bit extra. You already found the website it seems.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,112 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier Express

I would advise you to get the seat reservations as soon as possible. Then you are certain to have them! The GEX fills up...

Green Lake...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier Express

Thank you again. You are all very helpful.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier Express

I am thinking of buying a Swiss 3 day Flexi Pass. Will I be able to use the Flexi-Pass for the Arctic Express and the only thing I will need to do is then reserve seats????

Susie Melbourne

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,586 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glacier Express

Hi Susie,

Well Arctic is something slightly different ;-) But presuming you still mean Glacier: yes indeed it's a normal train stretch were the Flexi Pass is valid. Only extra to pay is the seat reservation fee.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,112 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Glacier Express

Seat reservation fee changes winter and summer. 15frs in winter. 33frs in summer. This covers ONE seat for however long you are on the train. Best sector from the point of view of scenery is Visp to Chur. You go over the Oberalp pass and then down the Sursilva valley past the old Benedictine Abbey Church in Disentis. Then through the gorges of the young Rhine river to Chur. Magnificent!!

Get your seat reservation on the GEX site - www.glacierexpress.ch - as soon as reservations open for your day of travel which is somewhere between 70-90days prior. (The GEX people don't know themselves, accurately since apparently this depends on their "tekkies") You can reserve your lunch IF you want the 3 course lunch once you have a seat number. Finally you do not need to have a train ticket in hand to make the seat res.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Glacier Express

Sorry, I did mean Glacier Express. Our intention is to travel to Zermatt and do some walking around the Matterhorn. If we make the trip by car, we will have to leave it at Tasch. The problem is how do we get back to Tasch without the expense of another Glacier Express return trip? . The other option is to travel from Italy to Zermatt by train, spend some days at Zermatt, ride the Glacier Express to say San Moritz - and if possible to link up with a train route to return to Italy other than the return route on the Glacier Express. We would welcome any suggestions?