We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Is it possible to reach some scenic overlooks from the stations on Bernina Express route? I'm considering taking RE trains to cover Bernina Express route.

Is it possible to take some breaks in between stations and catching the next train? If so, what are stations where from we can get some great views? If so, is luggage storage facility available on those stations?

It appears that Lago di Poschiavo is a nice blue glacial lake. Is it possible to go to the shore of this lake? From Google Map, I see that Miralago could be a nice place closer to the lake shore.

Is this are more accessible by car than train?

Subrata

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,107 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

We took the Bernina line last autumn and went to Diavolezza for lunch. Diavolezza station is on the train line and you simply walk over to the cable car station at the back of the parking lot, pay for your ticket and go up. there is a hotel and restaurant up there (which BTW has an Indian thali on the menu!!) and a stupendous view over to Piz Nair and several glaciers. Really great place for photos.

the little station at Miralago is right on the lake. And you can certainly get off there to take photos. The lake is very pretty. (BTW "Miralago" means "look at the lake"!!)

Germany
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

If you take the regional trains you can easily hop on / hop off. My favourite scenic outlooks:

- Montebello curve, shortly after passing Morteratsch station (but fine from the train, walking there would take too long)

- Diavolezza (involves getting on a cable car and up to Diavolezza, return ... takes at least an hour)

- Alp Grüm (great for lunch stop)

- from the train going down to Poschiavo: great views of the valley and the lake

You'll go by train right along Lake Poschiavo, quite for a while. Get off the train either at Le Prese or Miralago.

Brusio for the famous spiral viaduct.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Alp Grum is a classic location get off the train and take in the views of the Palau Glacier and the Puschlav defile. At Le Presse get off the train and photograph it running through the street. The train stop is outside the front of the post Office! At Brusio walk through the village the open spiral of the railway sits in a meadow just through the other side. You can follow the railway line and walk down to the next stop. At Tirano you can walk back to the church where the railway runs through the street.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22097570@N05/5361807746/

Edited: 06 July 2013, 09:45
Fremont, California
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Thank you Hambagahle, eagle2002 & mostlybytrain for valuable feedback.

Hambagahle: not only Thai Food (we eat Indian enough at home :-) ), I have decided to stay in the hotel up in the Diavolezza. If luck permits, one sunset and one sunrise I can try from there. Thank you again for the valuable tips..."there is a hotel and restaurant up there...".

eagle2002: "Montebello curve, shortly after passing Morteratsch station..." in which direction? I'm assuming St. Mortiz to Tirano direction.

mostlybytrain: I will try to see what else I can do in one afternoon, since I have decided to stay @ Diavolezza. Next morning we will head for Zermatt. Haven't decided whether to take GEX or Tirano->Milano->Brig route.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,107 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Suggest you send a PM to Engadiner. She and her husband have stayed up at the hotel at Diavolezza many time and she may well have some good pointers for you. I have not stayed there - only eatne there! - but the hot tub on the terrace looked quite something!!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Good decision to stay overnight on Diavolezza - a dream for a photographer. I hope you will have good weather, but then, even with some clouds shifting all the time, this makes for dramatic photos. Plan on using some black and white just in case!

Try to book a room with mountain view, the double ones with ensuite bathroom are more expensive, but you have the advantage of staying in a heated room to enjoy the tremendous view the whole night long without being outdoor in the cool night air. You will hardly be able to sleep as you will want to take one picture after the other as the Bernina massive changes color and light exposure continually during the night and you will not want to miss just one of those moments. I hope you are there near full moon, it's even more challenging.

And don't be disappointed if you arrive with clouds. Weather at this altitude changes often and minutes after a thick cloud cover you may be in the sun and minutes after that it might snow. Be prepared for everything.

If you are fit and want a special view, try one or two of the high peaks around there diavolezza.ch/en/…. You may want to get up to e.g. to Munt Pers in the afternoon after your arrival (mind that you will feel the high altitude, so don's try to do too much too fast, don't run, even if others do, take it peacefully). From there you have a 360 degrees panoramic view, you see even the Dolomites on a clear day (have a look at this site www.alpen-panoramen.de/panorama.php?pid=11383 ). Make sure to have good hiking shoes for this part. In the morning, you could still get up early and go up to Sass Queder before breakfast - this one is not a long hike and does not take a lot of time but it is a completely different perspective from there.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,107 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Told you she would know!! And doesn't E. make the hotel stay sound great!! I think I shall do it myself in september!!

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Excellent idea Mrs. H., it's impressive but I would like to make you aware of the fact that the included half board is far away from the one you are used to at your hotel in Sils-Maria. On Diavolezza, is healthy filling fare, the kind the mountaineers need for their next days adventure, the so-called "Hausmanns-Kost", but not the grande cuisine. It's good however and plenty. It's served in one service for everybody at the same time - on separate tables per guest party however, and rather early, as almost all the other guests are mountain climbers who will go to bed early to start their ascent before daybreak the next morning. So it is really calm early there - no party live. Then in the morning, there are two breakfast buffet times, one very early for the climbers, and one later for the few others who take it more relaxed. Before the first cablecar arrives, you have the place all for you and it's just fantastic. Take binoculars to observe the climbers - some of them will already be on their descent from the Biano-Grat when you have finished your breakfast.

Germany
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Yes, the St. Moritz to Tirano direction.

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bernina Express route detour for photography?

Engadiner & Hambagahle, thank you so much for letting me know more about Diavolezza.

Engadiner, I definitely need to go back there to complete the home work given by you. :-)

We will be there on July 16th. Unfortunately Full Moon is on July, 22nd. So there is always next time! I will definitely try Sass Queder in the morning once my body get accustomed with the altitude. I have backpacking experience at an altitude of 10,000 ft., but for the time being I'm little out of practice.

I love dramatic sky with clouds rather than Sunny / Blue day, and as you said, even midday can give good dramatic B+W image in the high mountains. If I get alpine glow during Sunrise / Sunset, that will be bonus and will keep my fingers crossed.

We got Double + mountain view room with ensuite bathroom. So I guess we are good.

For me this trip is more scouting trip & family vacation. Once I see the area and get first hand experience, I will be back with detail plan and more # of days to spend in each area.

Subrata