We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euro Rail Pass

Al Khobar, Saudi...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Euro Rail Pass

I would be travelling from Munich to Zurich and from Zurich to Zermatt and then to Florence, Rome and Venice. Does Eurorail pass cover these places. I am plannig to change trains in Chur while going from Zurich to Zermatt. Is it the best option? Does the Eurorail Pass for 3 countries cover the regional trains, trams and busses?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euro Rail Pass

I assume you mean an Eurail pass, and it is generally a BAD IDEA. Buying tickets will most likely be cheaper. If you buy your tickets especially for Germany and Italy ahead of time you will receive significant discounts. For Italy you still need to buy reservations (10 € per trip and person) and in Switzerland, the train from Disentis to Zermatt is not covered by the pass.

The regional trains in Italy and Germany are covered by the pass if they are either run by the national train authority or have a separate agreement with Eurail agency. Trams and buses are in general not covered.

Unless you specifically want to see Zürich (which is a nice city) it makes no sense to go from Munich to Zürich and then backtrack to Chur to follow the Glacier Express route. It is easier to either change in St Margrethen (between Munich and Zürich) to a train to Chur, or to take a direct train from Zürich to Visp and change to Zermatt there. The first option is more scenic.

Al Khobar, Saudi...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Euro Rail Pass

Thank you very much for your advice. I will surely follow it. I do plan to stay in Zurich then go to Zermatt.

3. Re: Euro Rail Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 06:21