We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big cash cheap for vendors who want to be paid in cash: how?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Big cash cheap for vendors who want to be paid in cash: how?

We are doing some hut-to-hut hiking in the Swiss Alps. A number of the huts do not accept credit cards. Since there are three of us in my family, and we are staying at multiple huts, this is going to come to quite a bit of cash to be carrying around. I feel fine carrying the cash (famous last words!), what I am wondering about is how to withdraw big amounts of cash without incurring all the bank fees (and possibly hitting daily limits on withdrawals). My impression is that Travelers' Checks are a thing of the past, but is that a cheap and efficient way to get Swiss francs? Other ideas? Thank you.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Big cash cheap for vendors who want to be paid in cash: how?

The withdrawal fees and limits are coming mostly from your bank, so you first need to talk to them. On the Swiss side there is no reasonable alternative to an ATM.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big cash cheap for vendors who want to be paid in cash: how?

Thanks - very helpful. ATMs are best option at Swiss end, I need to call to get this end sorted out. Thank you!

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Big cash cheap for vendors who want to be paid in cash: how?

I don't know how it works, you will have to ask your bank: there are debit cards that allow you to "fill them up" with cash, then you just get that cash out of the ATM s without any or maybe few charges.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big cash cheap for vendors who want to be paid in cash: how?

> there are debit cards that allow you to "fill them up" with cash, then you just get that cash out of the ATM s without any or maybe few charges.

These cards typically cost significantly more than just normal ATM usage, and in addition they have all the disadvantages of cash; if you lose them you have lost the whole sum.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big cash cheap for vendors who want to be paid in cash: how?

Really? I did now that, I only the knew master prepaid, from UBS, where you pay 5 francs when you withdraw money abroad.

And I think, if you lose it, you pay 20 francs and you get a new card with the rest of the amount you had in the lost one.

But, it is just an idea to ask you bank, , I am sure different providers have different rules.

Edited: 24 July 2013, 14:19
6. Re: Big cash cheap for vendors who want to be paid in cash: how?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:17