We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

free entry to musuems

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
free entry to musuems

Are most museums in Switzerland offers free entry? Does Swiss card or Half fare card offers free entry to museums?

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: free entry to musuems

Most museums have an entrance fee. You can buy a museum pass which does give free entry to most and 50% reduction on entrance fees to a few. You can find participating museums here …museumspass.ch/triboni/…

I'm not sure about the half fare card but the Swiss Pass does double as a museum pass as well. As such, purchase of the Swiss Pass will also grant you entry as per the website above.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: free entry to musuems

Half fare card does NOT cover entrance to any museums here. The Swiss Flexi pass DOES cover entrances but only on the days it is being used as a pass and not on the days it is used as an HFC.

Swiss Museum Pass - if you do not have a Swiss pass - will cost you 155frs for one adult for one year (no short term pass available) or 188frs for one adult and up to 5 children or 277frs for a family with up to five children. you can buy this pass at any museum OR have it sent to you for 5frs. (Though I am not sure if the 5frs will cover postage abroad).

There are some museums that are free. Not many... and not all museums in the country are covered by either the Swiss Pass or the Museums pass since some private ones have chosen not to participate. There is a complete list on the Museums pass site -

…museumspass.ch/triboni/…

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: free entry to musuems

thanks you very much both...

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: free entry to musuems

I just read in different site saying Swiss Flexi Card allows free travel. is this true?

as per I know it gives 50% travel. anyone can enlighten me......

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,103 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: free entry to musuems

Swiss Flexi Card allows free travel (well - you pay for it by buying the card...) on selected days which do NOT have to be consecutive. For the balance of the validity of the card days you do NOT use it for free travel it turns into a half fare card and you can buy train tickets at 50% of the price WITH THE EXCEPTION of some private railway and lift companies. And a notable exception is the Jungfraubahn to the Jungfraujoch which only allows a 25% discount.

The Half Fare Card (120frs for one month) gives you 50% off almost everything including the Jungfraubahn, mountain lifts, lake boats etc. It is the card that the majority of Swiss have (since we can't anyway buy the Passes and they would not be cost efficient for us). The HFC also allows you to buy a Day ticket, valid on all the railways (excepting some of the mountain ones...) for 96frs in First class, with travel starting at 0900 and 126frs (I think) for travel starting any time before 0900. Second class travel is also available and costs less. For all details on all these passes and fares see

www.sbb.ch/en

6. Re: free entry to musuems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2014, 06:23