We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Pass or Half fare for BO area

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Pass or Half fare for BO area

I am planning to spend 5 days in BO. On the first half day: getting there from Zurich; on the last ½ or 1 day going back to Interlaken and on to Austria. This leaves 3 full days in the area.

I am planning to stay in Grindlewald and Murren. I plan on the boat ride around Lake Brienz, and not going all the way up to Jungfrau (as everything I read says it was way to expensive and not worth it)

I am interested in traveling around for scenery, nature, photography, architecture. We will also be hiking and biking while in the BO!!

Swiss pass – Is it worth while buying a Swiss Pass? For 4 or 8 days? A 4 days pass will not cover the trip to or from Zurich. An 8 days pass might be too expensive for only 5 days? Does it also cover trains, buses, boats around Lakes Brienz ? Does cover everything in the BO area? I'm so confused!

Had I checked the fares before planning the trip I would have made it a 4 day trip- it would make this easier... Thanks for any help!

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,014 reviews
from US$175.40*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from US$162.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from US$252.70*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
652 reviews
from US$109.20*
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Pass or Half fare for BO area

I really need help here!! ANYONE?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Pass or Half fare for BO area

Half Fare card is a good cheaper option, but if you read the thousands of posts here on just what pass to get the advice is always the same. You have to do the math. But with 5 days you either have to pay full price on day 1 or 5: an 8 day pass just isn't worth it.

While the Swiss pass will give you free travel up to and including Grindelwald and Wengen or Murren via Lauterbrunnen it falls down on the Jungfrau trip where it only gives you a 25% discount. Half fare card gives you 50% off everything, including the Jungfrau. And BTW, our opinion was that this trip is definitely worth it, and a once in a lifetime experience.

This site may help: jungfrau.ch/en/…

Click on the discounts button on the right to see which pass makes the most sense for you.

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Pass or Half fare for BO area

Neither a 4 day or 8 day Swiss Pass would be economical for your itinerary. The alternatives are a 3 day Swiss Flexi-Pass or Swiss Card.

Assuming your are travelling alone and therefore not entitled to a saver pass the 3 day SFP costs 260 CHF. This will cover your transfers on day 1 and day 5 to the Swiss border and give one additional day of free mainline travel (trains, boats and buses) with Half Fare on the other two days. It will however only give a 25% discount above Grindelwald should you change your mind and decide to go to Jungraujoch, a worthwhile once in a lifetime experience but only on a fine clear day.

The Swiss Card costs 195 CHF and works out more economical in your case than the 1 month Half Fare Card. It also covers your transfers on days 1 and 5 and gives a 50% discount off everything on the other 3 days.

You will just have to do the maths to work out which is the better option.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,861 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Pass or Half fare for BO area

And I endorse what Westendgaz says about the Jungfraujoch. It is amazing and is definitely something that everyone should see in their lives!

Since you mention architecture - include a day at Ballenberg, the Open Air Museum, in your trip. This is near Brienz and can be combined with a lake cruise. Take the post bus from Brienz to get there. You will find an enormous site with buildings brought from all over the country, grouped by canton or by region and you will have the opportunity to compare the styles, purposes etc. Marvellous place! www.ballenberg.ch

5. Re: Swiss Pass or Half fare for BO area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 06:21