We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help planning a hiking trip around North Eastern area

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Need help planning a hiking trip around North Eastern area

Hey, It's been a dream of mine since I was little to go to the land of mountains, cheese and chocolate. I'm visiting Switzerland for four weeks next year, and need some help planning a hiking holiday.

I've looked at maps, routes and information but I've never been on an overseas trip before, and am not very confident in putting an itinerary together! If someone who knows Switzerland well could help me I would really appreciate it! :)

So some facts about my trip:

Time: June 2014

Length: four weeks, give or take

Where: North, North Eastern area

Budget $4,000 (I don't plan on doing most touristy things, so hope it is enough)

Aim: primarily hike/walk around, stay in B&B's, hostels etc. (not camping)

Hiking difficulty: medium - don't want to slog the whole way, but am fit enough to put in a good effort.

Places I want to see: Basel, Bern, Zurich, the Rhinefall, Lichtenstein, everything in between! :) Any lakes, glaciers, castles in the area.

What I need help with: mapping an achievable hiking route between all these places, taking in the best sights.

Thanks for taking the time to consider my request. Can't wait to visit this beautiful country!

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,039 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help planning a hiking trip around North Eastern area

Since the mountains take up the southern half of the country, your concentration on the Northern part means that you will miss out pretty much 90% of what Switzerland has to offer...

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help planning a hiking trip around North Eastern area

Ok, well thanks for pointing that out! I guess I should plan to hike the North and southern area! :-)

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help planning a hiking trip around North Eastern area

Have a look at wanderland.ch/en. It has a zoomable map showing all the marked hiking trails in the country, and also allows you to view descriptions of single or multi-day hikes by region.

In the northern part of the country between Zürich and Basel, you could do bits of national trail No. 5 (see http://www.wanderland.ch/en/routes/route-05.html).

In the north-east, you could hike the Toggenburger Höhenweg (www.wanderland.ch/en/routes/route-048.html) in six days.

In Liechtenstein, you could do the Liechtensteiner Panoramaweg (www.wanderland.ch/en/routes/route-066.html) in three days.

Finally, you could do the eastern end of national trail No. 3, the Alpine Panorama Trail (www.wanderland.ch/en/routes/route-03.html), which runs through the northern foothills of the Alps all the way from one side of the country to the other.

All of these suggestions are in the northern part of Switzerland - and if you look at the website I have linked to, you will see that there are hundreds more possibilities.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help planning a hiking trip around North Eastern area

Wow thanks heaps!! :D really appreciate your advice

5. Re: Need help planning a hiking trip around North Eastern area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:17