We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Pass

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Pass

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if its possible to get a train from Montreux through to Luzern without having to change trains?

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,655 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Pass

Hi there,

Totally impossible, as the gauges are different (upto Zweisimmen narrow and after that mostly wide)! Rolling stock that can handle both narrow and wide gauge is very, very expensive hence not yet in the plans ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,942 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Pass

Hi audreysmith

It will be possible to travel on the goldenpass line from Montreux to Interlaken with no change in the future. The new material is ordered. I do not know when it will be available.

Due to technical issues the let from Interlaken to Lucerne will not be doable without a change.

pore

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,069 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Pass

Have a look at http://www.goldenpass.ch/default.asp?OrgID=10 - Transgoldenpass.

Looks like the train change in Zweisimmen will not be necessary any more in 2016, but no information on planned or possible changes for Interlaken-Brünig (cogwheel traction as an additional challenge ?)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Pass

I agree with JM2cents - the change is in the works. Very much so in fact! As I understand it new rolling stock with adjustable bogeys are on order and some parts of the line is being relaid. Most likely from December 2016 trains will go through all the way from Montreux to Luzern. All this, BTW, was announced with great fanfare over two years ago! There are posters about it at the Montreux station and I presume at others.

meantime, since 2016 is a while off, the changes are really not difficult. Mostly the train comes in on one side of the platform and you cross over and board the waiting train on the other side. Yes it is apain to have to get up, get luggage etc and change trains. But it is not as though you have to walk miles, climb endless flights of stairs etc.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
12,942 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Pass

Sorry dear friends, the new trains will be operating until Interlaken and not to Lucerne which is not possible due of technical differences - www.goldenpass.ch/CMS/default.asp?ID=692 -.

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Pass

That is not what they claimed!! We were tricked!!!!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Pass

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies! Much appreciated!

I am back onto planning the Switzerland part of our trip and would like your opinion/advice again please? :)

So we are going to be starting in Zurich and want to go via the Golden Pass and end in Montreux then will be going onto Geneva. We have probably 1 night possibly 2 nights maximum that we can spend as stop overs. I was thinking if we did only the one stop that Interlaken would be best and then the next day we would continue onto Geneva. I know this schedule doesn't allow for much we but we are short on time and still really would like to see the beautiful scenery Switzerland has to offer from the train. Does this sound like an ok idea?

I appreciate any opinions/thoughts and input.

Thanks heaps!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,866 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Pass

Interlaken is the worst, not the best! It is a real tourist trap, with fast food places, souvenir shops etc. Quite shoddy really. Instead, on the route you will take, think about stopping in Brienz, which is charming and on the lake of Brienz. (Interlaken isn't in the mountains or on a lake!)

9. Re: Golden Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2015, 06:19