We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tauck Switzerland

Lake Worth, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
53 reviews
Save Topic
Tauck Switzerland

Thinking of taking Tauck Switzerland trip. Rail, boat, cogwheel train. Anyone take this trip? Never been to Switzerland. Any tips?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tauck Switzerland

Welcome to Trip Advisor! I'm afraid most of us here do not use pre-packaged tours for Switzerland primarily because it is so very easy to put together your own tour. Swiss tourism has just about any information you could want available on the internet and, of course, we're here to help. You might start looking at the idea of doing your own tour by taking a look at the Swiss Tourism office English language website

www.myswitzerland.com

Maybe someone who has taken a Tauck tour will see your post as well!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tauck Switzerland

Our group is considering the same tour and would rather leave it to Tauck. Regardless of the arrogant reply above, still looking to see if there are any who could give their opinion of the Tauck Switzerland. Thanks

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tauck Switzerland

Kileysmon was stating fact, most of those who post on TA are independent travelers who give the information freely and are happy to do so. I fail to see anything arrogant in her reply.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 15:28
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tauck Switzerland

I'm sorry you think it is arrogant to expalin that the information sought is probably not on this forum. No one was replying and I wanted to explain why so folks wouldn't waste time here. As you can see, no one here seems to have experience with Tauck (no replies at all regarding group travel) and that doesn't surprise most of us who are regulars because most of us don't travel with group tours. It's not a feeling that independent is better, just a different style.

I don't know of a travel forum that helps folks determine if a particular group tour is appropriate for them. I see that Tauck have their own forum when I do a google search for group travel forums. It also looks like there are discussions on group travel on the Fodor's forum. I hope you find folks who can help you decide which tour will be best for you.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 20:26
Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tauck Switzerland

Hi,

Amy jo, Thanks for your post. I myself have not taken a Tauck Tour. However, I have second hand information from others who said there trips with Tauck were "mint"...! High quality! I too am an independent traveler, like Kileysmom. She is anything but arrogant! She is just trying to provide clarity so you can seek assistance elsewhere. Good Luck and have a great trip!

canada
Level Contributor
7,680 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tauck Switzerland

There are certain places in this world where I would gladly join a tour group. But Switzerland is not one. In fact should anyone want to try out independent travel, Switzerland ranks before English speaking British Isles. I Western Europe I prefer to get lost and explore, not exactly the detail planning type. But that is probably because I ´ve traveling around for decades. Ah my first European trip was with a group tour, which served as an eye-opener and introductory course. It was 11 countries in 21 days. What did I learn? That I can do it on my own, and not to be rushed like a group of zombies.

Tauck is a good name, and geared to Americans. I´ve never used them, just sometimes bumped into their groups here and ther around the world.

Having experience both as independent and group tours, I would advise to check the location of the hotels they use on google earth or mappy.com.(esp for France). That is to find out convenience of any exploration on your own, like shopping or dinner. Check the schedules and timing to see if it suits your life style. Our physical requirements changes with age. Assure yourself why you need the group and tour director.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,338 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tauck Switzerland

Atlantaalan, don't think you do yourself a favour calling Kileysmom, one of the most generous and helpful TA Destination Experts (more than 13'000 very helpful posts) and a REAL expert, arrogant; this will not win you points or help you get assistance. Rather do yourself a favour and check the forum for answers first and check the site Kileysmom gave you the link for tips about Switzerland. If you must have a tour, you will certainly find customer reviews about tour operators - perhaps somewhere else than on this forum. Just do what everybody does - it's called GOOGLE!

Edited: 04 August 2014, 07:59
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tauck Switzerland

Kileysmom,

I appreciate your response. I am torn between a Tauck tour (and feeling rushed) and doing an independent tour. We have always done our own thing. You have given me courage to look harder at planning the trip ourselves!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tauck Switzerland

jHi and welcome to TA! It really is easy to work out your own travel at your own pace for Switzerland! Almost everyone working in the travel industries speaks excellent English and I've not found anyone who doesn't speak at least some English. The public transportation system is very easy to use (you might go home wondering why we can't have such a system!). It might be helplful to study the Swiss tourism website below along side the Tauch offers and see if they do go to all the places you would love to see and if they spend enough time at the ones you really want to enjoy.

www.myswitzerland.com

It might be most helpful to you to start your own thread with your quesitons so that you get answers about that item instead of Tauck. As you will see, the email comes from TA to us with just the thread subject and so it's possible this thread will be ignored because we know it is "old." Just put in the subject of your questions and then folks will answer who feel they can help.

Enjoy the planning - it is a lot of fun!

Chocowinity, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tauck Switzerland

I also am an independent traveler and enjoy using Tauck. We have traveled in France and Western Canada and their service is very good. The tour directors are the best. The only issues I have is when the do their land tours there is not much information regarding the time it takes to go from place to place on their motor coaches. This information is very important since I don't want to spend half the day sitting in a bus. My wife and I are also looking into their Swiss tour. It visits many of the places we wish to see and you use their two main airports to get in and out. Just don't get a feel for the travel times.