We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for my first trip to Switzerland

Raleigh,NC
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for my first trip to Switzerland

I am planning to visit Switzerland after Labor Day and am trying to determine the best place to use as a base for scenic train trips to the alps. I would also appreciate recommended cities and must see sights/areas. Thanks.

canada
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for my first trip to Switzerland

The best known scenic train is the Glacier Express, which runs along the south slope of the Alps. The trip takes almost 8 hours, meaning you simply cannot return to your base the same day.

To the north an almost parallel route is called the Golden Pass, from Montreux to Lucerne, it is not faster by very much. But you can base somewhere in the middle and do 2 separate day trips. That is where Spiez (or its neighboring towns) comes in. From Spiez there are 2 tunnels (the higher tunnel is more scenic, but the lower one is faster) through the Alps to link you to the Glacier Express route.

Another scenic route is the Bernina Express which is in the Eastern part of the country, but an extension by bus can bring you to Lugano, Ticino. From there you can proceed (different day) to Locarno to travel on the Centovalli line to Domodossola, Italy, and catch a train back to Spiez.

Raleigh,NC
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for my first trip to Switzerland

Thank you for the great advice. I will certainly look into those routes. I am curious about the cities that you would suggest for reasonably priced accommodations in addition to nice strolling areas and restaurants.

3. Re: Suggestions for my first trip to Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2015, 05:17