We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Rail Help Needed

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
230 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Rail Help Needed

Working on my Swiss budget. Does anyone have a ball-park figure for 3 people (ages 60, 58 & 18) would like a one-week Swiss rail pass to get from ZRH to Interlaken, then Interlaken to various alpine villages in the Oberland and Italian Swiss Alps by train or bus. Any thoughts?

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Rail Help Needed

swisstravelsystem.com/en/tickets-en/ticket-o…

Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Rail Help Needed

Do they have someone I can speak with? There are so many options, none of which seem to be "buy this pass, get on all trains with no further fees". From what I saw the various rail pass gives you "discounts" on scenic train travel.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,039 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Rail Help Needed

No they don't, that kind of extra timeconsuming service for free would make all tickets considerably more expensive for all! Just follow the advice given: make an Excel sheet with in the rows all of your planned trips and in the columns the various options for prices for the trips with Swiss Pass, Flexipass, Half Fare Card or no pass. And of course add a row for the pass itself. May the cheapest @Sum column win...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiss Rail Help Needed

I know it is confusing,... but the only way to work though this is to do the research, then do the maths, and then compare. It is what any of us would have to do as well...

As you have noted there are some rail lines (ex: Jungfraujoch) in the Berner Oberland that are not included in the Swiss Passes... you get a discount but still have to buy a ticket... there is no single pass that gives you access to everything.

It is probably worth looking at the 1/2 price card, the Swiss-flexi pass, and the Berner Oberland pass... that is where I would start.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
52,437 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiss Rail Help Needed

Yes, I'm afraid that there is no pass or ticket that includes absolutely everything. You will have to do a lot of work yourself to calculate the absolute cheapest way to do whatever it is you want to do.

Depending on how much you enjoy such things, you may be better off just getting a Swiss Pass and paying for the private mountian railways that aren't included that you want to use. At least you will get a discount!

For train travel to Italy, there are plenty of through trains from various points. You might be able to get a cheap advance fare if you are willing to commit yourselves to a particular service in advance, at the Swiss Railwats website. These cheaper tickets are usually only released three or four months ahead of time.

6. Re: Swiss Rail Help Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2015, 06:19