We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

P S
London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

Hi

I am planning to visit Switzerland for first time in April end. I will be traveling with my wife and 3 year old son. So I am looking for some suggestions to plan trip. I plan to travel in April end so how is the weather at that time of year?

Few points to be considered

1) I will be traveling from London

2) Will be traveling with 3 year old so places should be where little one cal also enjoy

3) Wanted a central place where we can take number of day trips instead of running around

4) if possible, want to take a scenic train journey like Golden Pass

5) Would like to stay in self catering place (if possible)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

The weather/temperatures in April are mixed dependent on altitude. Generally, it tends to be rather squelchy in the mountains, and many people prefer to be at lower altitude where Spring is further advanced. In order to best advise, can you give us a little more information. What kinds of things do you like to do with your family? Do you have any language preference for your base (German, French, Italian)? Do you have a particular picture in your head of Switzerland - can you describe the type of landscape that most interests you? Have you already booked your travel? If yes, where are you flying/arriving into? How long are you willing to travel for on arrival? Knowing this will better help us advise you.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

Hey, I am also planning a 4 days trip to Switzerland in April with my 1.5 year old daughter, would love to see your itinerary, please share. Cheers Sachin

P S
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

I need to make all bookings so open to ideas. I will be flying from heathrow so any place with flight connection to heathrow will work for me.

My language preference will be English. I have got 6 days in total at April end including travel to & from UK.

I am interested in seeing some good landscapes, city, markets (where its different from UK :-) ) and any places/ museums/ parks where 3 year old can also enjoy.

I was thinking about starting from one area spend 1 or 2 days to see local areas or day trips. After that take a train on panoramic route and then spend next few days and other area and come back from there.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

At least half, if not most, of your first and last day will be taken up with travel, so you are looking at 4 full days of holiday. With that in mind, just one base is most practical and I would suggest exploring the one area and taking one day trip. More than this can be tiring with a small child. As I mentioned previously, I think it is preferable to be at lower altitude in April where Spring is more advanced. Some options within easy reach of airports include Lucerne (hour's direct train from Zurich airport) or Vevey or Montreux (just over an hour's direct train from Geneva airport). Both Lucerne and Vevey or Montreux are situated on lakes with mountain views. From both of them, you can take nice trips up into the local mountains. Both of them have interesting family activities. Some reasonably priced airlines to consider if you haven't already include easyjet and Swiss

The main languages you will encounter in Switzerland are Swiss German, Swiss French and Swiss Italian. English is fairly widely spoken in areas frequented by tourists, but it's always nice to have a phrase book to be able to make a few pleasantries.

P S
London, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

Thanks, what are the best way to book self catering apartments ?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

I'm not great at accommodation I'm afraid. Hopefully others will have ideas.

7. Re: Need suggestions for 3.5 days trip to Switzerland in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:21