We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

Deerfield, Illinois
10 posts
Save Topic
5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

Hi

We will be visiting Switzerland end of this May 2014 for 5 Days:

-- Flight Arrival is at 6:20 AM Zurich Airport

-- We are a couple with 2.5 years kid

-- This our first time in Europe, so I have no clue what to do & expect

Interest & Preferences:

-- Don't want trip to be too busy, as my daughter needs her rest

-- More interested in scenic run of the mill tourist places

-- Less interest in History & Politics (Can avoid museums etc. unless it's a must see)

Looking for some suggestions and itinerary which is best fit for 5 days. Also, I am not on a very lavish budget so any savings in terms of Hotels would help.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

Given the time of year and the fact you are flying into Zurich, I would suggest Lucerne as your base. It's only an hour from the airport by train, you can easily access the local mountains, Spring will have properly sprung there and there is plenty of family friendly things to do. Check out the very comprehensive Top Questions section of the Lucerne forum for more information.

Deerfield, Illinois
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

Thanks

Your recommendation is to keep 1 base, Lucerne ? I want to visit Zurich & Interlaken as well.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

You lose up to half a day each time you move base (packing/unpacking, travel, finding your hotel), and since this us a fairly short trip then, yes, I'd go for one base. Zurich is easy, you could either check it out on your arrival/departure days (lockers at the station for luggage) or pop back on the train. Interlaken has its advantages, particularly as a hub to the big mountains, but there are big mountains by Lucerne too. I think most areas in Switzerland are delightful and worth a visit, but with a little one and only a short holiday, I'd stick to one base. Take a look at www.sbb.ch/en to plan journeys and better understand what might be practical for you and your family. Do take a look at the Top Questions section of the Lucerne forum, as you'll see just how much there is to do.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

Lots of interesting things around Interlaken but it's not the most interesting or nicest place we stayed. We used to as a base to go elsewhere. Lucerne on the other hand is a nicer town/city in our experience and you can visit some nice places from here as well. For Zurich we felt one day was enough but everyone is different.

Deerfield, Illinois
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

Hi Thanks for your reply.

If you could help me with a list of must see / do things.

NorthWestLondoner> Thanks for the advice, it never occurred to me that switching hotels is also an overhead. Will stay at one place instead.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

Do check out the Top questions section of the Lucerne forum, as it lays out lots of good information about things to do in and around Lucerne (if that is where you choose to go).

Deerfield, Illinois
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

This is what i have in mind as places I would want to visit:

1.The Matterhorn

2. Rhine Falls

3. Interlaken

4. Gastaad

Seems Zermatt is quite a distance from Zurich or Lucerne. In case I decide one of these as a base?

There is too much information available which is driving me crazy. Let me know if I missed a major attraction which I should visit.

Edited: 10 March 2014, 18:24
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

With 5 days, you are trying to do too much. You are right many of these places are widely spread out.

Honestly, as you have a small child who could become bored on long train journeys and with lots of moving around, why not just go for the one area. I'm going to have to recommend again that you consider somewhere like Lucerne. It has lots to do for families, Spring will be well advanced (so warmer and with nice flowers) and there are good high local mountains (you can visit a glacier easily from there).

I hope others will chip in with advice on this one.

9. Re: 5 Day Switzerland, Couple with 2.5 Years Old kid, May End

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27