We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestions for 7 day trip in Switzerland in April 2014

Pune, India
3 posts
Save Topic
Need suggestions for 7 day trip in Switzerland in April 2014

I am planning a trip to Switzerland from 19 April to 25th April 2014.

This is my first trip to Switzerland and I am with family (3 of us including 9 year child )

ITINERARY :

I would like to cover following places,

1. Zurich ( Arriving there ) : 1 day

2. Lucern : 2 days

3. Interlaken : 2 days

4. Geneva or Bern : 1 day.

We are planning to visit Austria after this.

Can someone please suggest me a good itinerary for the trip ?

Can Zermatt be covered by dropping any of above destination ? Is it worth trying ?

STAY :

Planning to combine our stays at Hotels (3/4 stars), B&B and Youth hostel to get different experiences.

Has anyone have recommendations on this ? Are all above options fine for staying with family of 3 ?

TRAVEL :

Planning to have a 8 days saver pass for the same. Are there any other recommendations ?

Thanks.

Vinay

Geneva, Switzerland
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestions for 7 day trip in Switzerland in April 2014

Hi,

First, if you plan to finish your trip in Austria, maybe you should start your trip in Geneva, so you can go first to Bern - Interlaken - Luzern - Zürich and the direct train from Zürich to Innsbruck or Vienna. If you have just 8 days for all, maybe you should switch Zermatt and, when staying in Interlaken go up to Jungrfaujoch or stay at Mürren, Grindelwald or Wengen.

I think 1 day in Bern is enough, 1 day in Interlaken is also enough if you don't plan to go up in the mountain.

2 days in Luzern and surroundings seems good. as well as Zürich.

You could also choose a trip from Geneva to Interlaken through Montreux (-Zweisimmen-Spiez) This train trip through the mountain is simply amazing !

For accomodation, I'm sorry, but I'm not able to help you on this. For train trips maybe a Swiss Pass will be the best offer for you (Getting a family card and your 9 year old kid will travel for free with you.)

canada
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestions for 7 day trip in Switzerland in April 2014

Unless you arrive late in the evening, go straight to Interlaken for the night.

From Interlaken you can take day trips to Bern, Montreux & Zermatt (not advisable for the 9 year old to go higher to Gornergrat etc, over 3000m; and I don't thing you can find a bed there in April).

After Interlaken, move to Lucerne.

From Lucerne you can take the train to Austria via Zurich HB.

Pune, India
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestions for 7 day trip in Switzerland in April 2014

Thanks for suggestion.

There is a slight change in ITINERARY.

Would visit Geneva first and travel back from there till Zurich.

Planning to limit stays at 3 places.

1. Geneva : 2 days

2. Interlaken : 3 days

3. Lucerne: 2 days

Want to try different options at different places for stay like Hotels, Apartments and Youth hostel.

Please suggest if youth hostel stay is ok with children.

In addition, what would be typical weather conditions in Alps ? Will it be below 0 deg C ?

Do you need to carry Winter wear ?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestions for 7 day trip in Switzerland in April 2014

Although Geneva has many advantages, I think there are not quite as many fun family things to do there as at the Montreux/Vevey end of the lake. If it were me, I would go straight from the airport on the train to Montreux or Vevey and stay there for my two days. There are a couple of hostel options that I am aware of in the area, and yes these are fine for families. Have a look at:

Riviera Lodge in Vevey www.rivieralodge.ch/en/accueil.html (short walk from Vevey station)

Montreux-Territet HI hostel hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Montreux-Territet-… (short bus journey from Montreux station)

5. Re: Need suggestions for 7 day trip in Switzerland in April 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:16