We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Switzerland Solo From June 8th for 7 days**

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Switzerland Solo From June 8th for 7 days**

Hello,

I will be traveling in switzerland for my first time in June for 7 days. I will not have a car but i am looking to get an adventure experience. I would like to spend more time in the mountains with scenic views, i come from a large city so some country air would be ideal. I like to hike and spend time outdoors. Would anyone recommend an itinerary of their most loved places or must sees while i am there. Would you recommend a swiss pass etc. Any help would be amazing. I am also on a bit of a budget as i am a student. I am looking for an adventure so i do not really care for city shopping and restaurants as much. Hope this was a clear message:)

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Switzerland Solo From June 8th for 7 days**

With seven days, I'd go for no more than 2-3 bases. Remember that you lose at least half a day each time you move base (packing/unpacking, checking in/out, travel). For a classic mountain experience, many people would recommend the Bernese Oberland, so maybe take some time reading about this (www.myswitzerland.com is a good start point). Often people like to have one mountain base and one lakeside base to get some different experiences - two very user friendly lakeside bases to look at would be Lucerne or Vevey/Montreux.

Have a look at the link below and click on Switzerland in 3, 5, or 10 days (about 1/3 of the way down the page).

myswitzerland.com/en-gb/…

I think the pace is too frantic, but it's a good start point.

Where are you likely flying into as this may affect recommendations.

Which pass to use will depend on your itinerary. Many people love the freedom of a Swiss pass, but often another pass might work out more economic. For me, the half fare card always works out best, but my journeys might be quite different from yours.

It is possible to enjoy Switzerland on a budget. You can often get nice private rooms in hostels, or stay in simple pensions/inns.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Switzerland Solo From June 8th for 7 days**

Thank you so much for your response! Ill arrive to Zurich on the 11th and leave also from Zurich on the 18th, so 8 days actually. Both Oberland for the mountains and Lucerne for lake view seem very ideal. Would you recommend just busing between the two? Is there a scenic train that you would recommend me booking? I could spend two full days in both and then the other two in Zurich with an extra day devoted to travel time.

I definitely spent some time on the Switzerland website i just found myself overwhelmed with information. Now that i have a little idea of the best places to visit i feel like it will be much easier.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Switzerland Solo From June 8th for 7 days**

In Switzerland there is an integrated public transport system that works very well. There are trains and then local buses, and they all slot in together. Have a look at www.sbb.ch/en and you'll get a feel of how journeys work. You just put in your from and to points and it works it all out for you.

When you have a better sense of what main journeys you're likely to do, it's easier to work out about passes or discount cards.

4. Re: Traveling to Switzerland Solo From June 8th for 7 days**

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:18