We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

France-Switzerland in 10 days

San Jose, California
2 posts
Save Topic
France-Switzerland in 10 days

Hi all,

I've got a round trip to Paris from March 23 to April 2. This is my first time in this area and I do not know how I can use this time efficiently.

I am pretty sure that I need to consider 5 days for Paris: 1 day for Louvre (I am not sure if I want to dedicate one whole day), 1 day for Versailles, 2 to 3 days other Paris attractions. For the rest of the trip I like to visit nice Swiss alps or Chamonix (places with style of Dolomites but not that far). Also I really liked Bern.

Except Paris attractions, I am more looking for unique landscapes which cannot be seen in any other places on earth, especially where I live California.

I am taking this trip under low budget and with a large backpack, and I have plan to stay in hostels.

Please advice me with everything you think that would help me, everything: If I need to skip places, if I better rent a car rather than taking train for going to alps, sleeping in the car rather than going to hostel, etc.

In general, what would you do if you were a first-timer and wanted to see wonders of this region (France, Switzerland, and Italy) in 10 days.

Thank you.

Faroz

P.S. I am traveling alone.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: France-Switzerland in 10 days

Your asking for to much. Skip Italy all the way, stick to Central France, with possibly a short visit to Switserland.

Some suggestions in Central France:

Giverny; Monet gardens

Loire Valley with its castles

Chartres Cathedral, the first and most magnificent Gothic Cathedral

Alsace Region with Strassbourg

Bourgundy Region, with Dijon and Beaune, famous for its wines

French Alps with Chamonix, Lake Annecy

Swiss Alps: Zermatt, Interlaken, Jungfrau Region, Lucerne

On-a-Budget and Switserland is not a good combination, everything is expensive in CH, including supermarkets

Edited: 14 March 2014, 17:47
London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: France-Switzerland in 10 days

I strongly disagree. Five days in Paris and five in Switzerland would be very pleasant and Switzerland can be done on a budget. There are excellent hostels and you can buy high quality tasty food from supermarkets to self cater. There are passes and discount cards that can help with the costs of public transport. Hiking, picnicking, strolling around beautiful villages or old towns ....not expensive! I always travel on a budget and manage fine.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: France-Switzerland in 10 days

As to where to go, I think a lakeside base would be nicest for you at the end of March. Spring will be beginning and you can day trip up into the local mountains. Consider Lucerne or Vevey/ Montreux. There is more than enough to do in and around these bases for five days.

4. Re: France-Switzerland in 10 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18