We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy a vignette

Belleville, Canada
13 posts
Save Topic
Where to buy a vignette

Where is the closest, and easiest to reach outlet, to buy a vignette after leaving the car rental agency at Basel- Mulhouse airport?

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy a vignette

Rental cars will already have the vignette

Belleville, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy a vignette

Europcar advised me their cars don't have vignette. But thanks anyway.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy a vignette

How strange. I have never seen a hire car without one. Let's see what others say.

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
426 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy a vignette

Everything you need to know about the vignette:

…admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/…

Schindellegi...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Kiev
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy a vignette

Quote from …admin.ch/zollinfo_privat/… "Motorway tax stickers are for sale at all manned customs offices at the Swiss border. There, the sticker can be paid for also in a foreign currency (EUR, GBP, USD; only notes) and with all major credit and debit cards. Change is given in Swiss francs."

Assuming you get your rental car from a French rental car company or office at Bâle-Mulhouse airport (on the French side) without vignette and you can not buy one at the airport but you plan to drive directly to Switzerland: leave the airport, drive over German border (Weil-am-Rhein), take E35 to enter Switzerland - as you enter Switzerland on a highway, you can and will have to buy your vignette at the Swiss customs office, to my experience manned 24/7.

Only major border crossings are manned 24/7 by customs officials or border guard agents. Some of the small ones are manned only randomly.

Belleville, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to buy a vignette

Thanks, 2cents. I will be renting my car on the Airport ( French side) and will follow your suggestion if no vignette is already in the car. Much appreciated.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,957 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to buy a vignette

Cars rented on the French side of Basel OR Geneva airports will not have a vignette unless a previous renter has bought one. Look on the windscreen. the vignette must be stuck firmly either under the rear-view mirror or down on the left side.

If you want to buy one, you can do so at the border post OR at any petrol station/post office in Switzerland.

Belleville, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to buy a vignette

Danke, Merci or Thanks. That sure helps.

9. Re: Where to buy a vignette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:17