We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between Salzburg and Grindelwald

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
72 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between Salzburg and Grindelwald

Hi!

Traveling from Salzburg to Grindelwald in mid-june. Few questions...

How can I make sure that my route takes us through the pretty part of Austria, and not Munich (the pass...can't remember the name...)? We will be traveling through the day, so want to make the most of our views :)

How do I book my train travel to take full advantage of my Swiss Card (half fare)? Would I travel from Salzburg to the first station in Switzerland, or the last station in Austria, and I've seen some people mention taking a ferry? Not sure how to go about this.

I'm considering staying the night in our connecting town, to break up the trip (traveling with a 16mo old), but not sure if we should just go for it all in one trip and get it over with. Any recommendations here?

Thanks!! (I am so thankful for this community of fellow travelers willing to share their knowledge! I would be LOST as a goose without yall!)

Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
959 reviews
from US$164.36*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Day Trip from Zurich...
294 reviews
from US$241.27*
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,177 reviews
from US$156.45*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
986 reviews
from US$241.27*
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,268 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between Salzburg and Grindelwald

I think the route you are talking about is Salzburg/Innsbruck/Buchs/Zürich and it runs through the Arlberg mountains. It is beautiful. You could stop in Innsbruck en route. Or better yet in the mountains. The train stops at St Anton im Arlberg.

Your Swiss Card will take you from the border station - Buchs - to your destination in Switzerland. Presumably Grindelwald? You will need to show this when getting your tickets in Austria OR tell the OBB that you have it so your ticket will be issued to Buchs and your seat reservation will be until wherever you get off the train which I would think would be Zürich. Zürich to Grindelwald will take a while - roughly 2 3/4 hours - and I am not sure if the Swiss card allows you to spend a night en route. Best to check this before booking. Travelling with a baby you probably don't want to spend hours and hours on trains in one day.

Also - be careful about altitude with the baby. Our doctors here tell us not to take infants under 24 months any higher than 2000m. Grindelwald is fine - under 1000m. But all the mountains around are higher.

2. Re: Travel between Salzburg and Grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:17