We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feedback requested for 5 day Switzerland Itinerary

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Feedback requested for 5 day Switzerland Itinerary

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for reading this post and providing you feedback in advance.

I will be visiting Switzerland in August for 5 days and 5 nights. I will be staying in Lucerne for 4 nights and 1 night in St Morritz or Lugano (haven't decided) and then I will be going to Venice (Italy). I will be using the local transport (i.e. bus, trains, etc) throughout my trip. I have already booked the Swiss Pass for 4 days. Below is my plan so far:

Day 0 - Arrive in Lucerne by evening, visit old town at Lucerne

Day 1 - Travel to Mount Rigi and Mt Pilatus or Mt Titlis, not sure if I can cover 2 things in one day. I want to undergo light travel and not make it very exhausting.

Day 2 - Travel from Lucerne to Interlaken - Golden Pass line. Go to Jungfrau from Interlaken. Return back to Lucerne.

Option 1:

Day 3 - Local sightseeing around Lucerne

Day 4 - Since we will be in Lucerne, travel from Lucerne to Lucerne to Andermatt. Take the Glacier Express from Andermatt to St Morritz. Stay overnight in St Moritz.

Day 5 - Take the Bernina Express from St Moritz to Tirano (Italy). Take the bus (from Tirano to Edolo) and train (Edolo to Venice) to reach Venice by evening.

Option 2:

Day 3 - Travel from Lucerne to Andermatt. Take the Glacier Express from Andermatt to St Morritz. Stay overnight in St Moritz.

Day 4 - Take the Bernina Express from St Moritz to Tirano. Take the bus from Tirano to Lugano. Stay overnight in Lugano.

Day 5 - Local sightseeing in Lugano. Leave from Lugano - Milan - Venice (I believe the entire journey takes 4 hours).

Questions:

1. Which of the two options should I take considering that I want to reach Venice by evening and I will be travelling with my luggage on the last day.

2. In option 2, I will be travelling a lot and will not have any time for sight seeing in St Moritz and Lugano. Also, based on preliminary research the hotel prices are very high in St Moritz and Lugano. We are a group of 5 adults & 1 child. Can we find cheap rental apartments for 1 night in St Moritz and Lugano.

Thank you for your feedback,

Devesh

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feedback requested for 5 day Switzerland Itinerary

I'm only going to comment on your plan for day 2 Lucerne to Interlaken takes 2 hours Interlaken to Jungfraujoch takes over an hour and a half. You will have no way of knowing what the weather conditions at Jungfraujoch will be when you leave Lucerne, they can change in a very short time. I would suggest ammending your day 1 programme and perhaps doing a round trip to Mount Rigi, taking the boat to Vitznau and the train up and returning. via Arth Goldau and if you wish continuing to Brunnen abd taking the boat back from there to Lucerne and then on day 2 going Titlis if you want to see snow or Pilatus, again with Pilatus you can do a round trip. The cost of the trip to Rigi is covered I understand with the Swiss Pass, Pilatus is 50% reduction.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feedback requested for 5 day Switzerland Itinerary

Hi,

" You want to Undergo Light travel"....really? Not that the Gex, and BE do not have beautiful scenery, but there is a difference between riding in a train and touching the soil, smelling the flowers, breathing in the air... sitting stilll......touching something sacred that one can not experience from a train window.....

As Swisslover said, don't consider going to Jungfrau from Lucerne. Rather, take a slow hike in the mountains around lucerne, sit and contemplate the beauty before you.

Whatever you decided have a great time in Switzerland and Europe.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Feedback requested for 5 day Switzerland Itinerary

Thanks Swisslover and Marb for your comments. I wanted to keep the travel on day 1 "light" for adjusting with the weather and time zone differences. Again, you are right that the intent is to admire and enjoy the beauty rather than take a couple of snaps and move on.

Toronto, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Feedback requested for 5 day Switzerland Itinerary

Any more updates please, thanks

5. Re: Feedback requested for 5 day Switzerland Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2015, 05:16