We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Change Time

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Train Change Time

Hi there,

I will arrive at Lausanne train station by TGV Lyra(9261) from Paris at 11:37Hrs on 13 July 2014 (Sunday). I need to take the connecting train from Lausanne to Lucerne ... I found possible options (SBB website) for train from lausanne at 11:50hrs and next one at 12:50hrs...(Inter-Regio 2525/2527)

i would request your guidance on the issue that:

1. Buying 11:50hrs ticket will be risky? Should I buy the 12:50hrs one?? Catering the delay of changing trains/terminal ...?

2. Swiss trains almost never late (learned from this forum :) ), but what about tgv? because if first leg is late, it will hamper the connecting train...

3. Can the ticket of 11:50 be used for the 12:50 hrs .. ?

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,231 Reviews
from US$160.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Full-Day Sightseeing...
1,041 Reviews
from US$166.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from US$255.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from US$255.40*
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,743 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Change Time

Hi there,

1] Does not matter what you buy. Domestic tickets are, unlike e.g. TGV tickets, _not_ tied to a specific train. Of course you hope to catch the 11.50 one, the transfer is max. 5 minutes if not too much searching or luggage trollying, but with bad luck you need a later one.

2] Yes some risk of delays.

3] Yes and for 13.50 one also ;-)

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Change Time

thanks ErikdR,

So, I may buy the ticket from SBB, and just hope to get ON the 11:50's ... if not i will just catch the next ... right?

ah , thats a relief :)

Regards

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,064 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Change Time

Just don't buy a reduced fare ticket or special fare ticket as those are tied to a particular train and, if you miss it, you have to buy a new ticket!

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Change Time

Thanks kileysmom, I got it, anyways, i think for regional trains there should not be any offer at all :P

Regards :)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,252 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Change Time

Sadly it is no longer true that Swiss trains are never late. But they are seldom late. the TGV is also not late often. So a 13 minute time for a change of trains in Lausanne (or anywhere here) is generous. AND there is more than one way to get from Lausanne to Luzern - instead of a direct train you can, for example, take a train and change in Bern.

With a normal ticket you can take whichever train suits your schedule. With a "supersaver" you cannot. Do not buy a supersaver. At most you save a few francs. At worst you loose all the money you paid and have to buy a new ticket...

Also - change of train in Lausanne - you will arrive most likely on platform 3. Go down the ramp and walk to platform 1. Trains to Luzern leave from there... It will take you (at most!) 3 minutes.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 21:30
Penang Island...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Change Time

Dear Hambagahle,

Thank you so much for such a detail picture, I am feeling so relieved now I cant tell you in words...

Tripadvisor rocks because of Rockstars like you :)

Regards

7. Re: Train Change Time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:17