We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

I'm on the phone with RailEurope. They tell me I cannot buy a Swiss Rail Pass in Switzerland - that I must purchase it ahead of time before I leave the USA. Is that true??

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

I am almost certain they are wrong, it is the transfer pass/ticket that has to be bought in advance, outside Switzerland, but the Swiss Travel Centre website will give you the definite answer.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

They are absolutely 100% wrong! Chalk up ANOTHER reason to avoid RailEurope.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

I've looked all over the www.sbb.ch website and could not find the answer. Has any USA citizen out there ever walked up to the ticket counter in Switzerland and bought a Swiss Rail Saver Pass (and been able to use it?).

worried! we leave in 48 hours.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

You can very easily buy the Swiss Rail pass at any of the airports (Swiss rail counters) in Switzerland. It is just the transfer pass that you need to buy before you leave for Switzerland.

Just talk to anyone in sbb and they will clear all your doubts. Or visit sbb.ch/en for further details. But certainly, you do not need to buy the Swiss Rail passes before you land there.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

It doesn't matter where you are from outside Switzerland just go to the Travel Centre in the Airport Station and buy it, then you can use it straight away. I have done that in the past with no problems.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

Whew! Thank goodness! Thank you for the confirmations, my tripadvisor friends!

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,495 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

You will find the answer here under 'Booking Tickets' and 'General Information'.

swisstravelsystem.com/en/home/support/Freque…

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

RailEurope USA is often times more expensive than other sources for railroad tickets and passes in Europe. However, do not totally rule them out. Two years ago, I was searching for the best price on a Swiss Rail Pass. At the time, there were frequent fluctuations in the exchange rate of the US $. I was able to get a slightly better price from RailEurope USA than any other source. Do a websearch for Swiss Pass Purchase and you will find several sites that sells the passes and a couple that compares the price of various sources. However, it is not true that the pass has to be purchased before you arrive in Switzerland, but it may be possible to save a few dollars by purchasing in advance.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
460 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

Today, June 23, is the very last day of RailEurope $50 off SP sale. I bought a 22 day SP that is normally $628 for $578. My boyfriend bought an 8 day pass that originally was $447 for $415 (he netted only a $32 savings b/c they charge $18 for shipping if it is not at least a $450 purchase.) My shipping was free. Hope that helps. Buy it now before the sale ends! That's my advice!

10. Re: Help! Swiss pass - must buy before leaving USA????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 07:16