We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

William Tell Express

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Topic
William Tell Express

May I know how to reserve seats for William Tell Express? Knowing that I can take regional train from Flüelen to Lugano, I am only interested in booking a ferry trip from Lucerne to Flüelen. Thanks!

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,196 reviews
from US$162.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Day Tour from Zurich
1,015 reviews
from US$174.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour from Zurich...
350 reviews
from US$250.80*
Chamonix and Mont Blanc
655 reviews
from US$108.40*
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: William Tell Express

I am not sure you can do this as the Wm Tell express is a marketing "thing" of the SBB and is sold as a package. I am sure they would have no problem in your booking - and paying 100% for - the Tell express and then getting off at Flüelen and taking a regional train at your (additional) expense! But you would not get a refund for the Tell train...

Solution is simply to take the boat from Luzern to Flüelen and then take whatever train you want from there. One ticket should do it all - just be sure to specify that you want to make the first part of the trip by the lake boat.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: William Tell Express

Thanks for your advice. I read about the packages but they do not suit me because I will be holding a swiss rail pass. For the boat trip from Luzern to Fluelen mentioned, does it require reservation?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,486 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: William Tell Express

Not needed for 2nd class. 2nd class gives access to the lower deck of the WT Express boats (mostly steamers), 1st class to upper deck and due to the included meal I remember needing a reservation for that.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: William Tell Express

Thanks! What if I want to upgrade to 1st class for the boat trip? I cannot find a link to book online.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,486 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: William Tell Express

Well keeping our fingers crossed that this is possible at all solely for the boat part. As written above, it's generally sold as a package deal for boat+train. That having said, when we did it 2 years back our travel agent had both a Swiss Flexipass (1st class) for us _and_ the boat-train combi which means that you can 'book' the train as reservation-only as travel was already covered by the pass.

But bottom line is you might have to inquire either with SBB or with the Lake Lucerne boat company, sorry.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
527 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: William Tell Express

Just buy an normal train ticket Lucerne - Lugano or use your Swiss Pass for the trip. Once onboard the ship or at the ticket booth at the Lucerne landing stage, buy the desired upgrade for the boat trip : It will be a small fee for the second class ship leg or splurge the first class for the upper deck.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,486 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: William Tell Express

Well and as Swiss Pass formally covers the Lake Lucerne boats, I guess for 2nd class there would even be nothing to pay. But for 1st class yes do an upgrade, thanks for the extra info!

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: William Tell Express

Thanks for your info. Actually, I tried contacting SBB who directed me to Lake Lucerne Boat Company who gave me a link for the William Tell package including 1 night of accommodation in Lugano. None of the above parties could let me do seat reservation, unfortunately. I think I will just walk-in with my Swiss Pass then. Thanks!

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: William Tell Express

What seats are you trying to reserve? The Wilhelm Tell Express package uses normal service boats and trains with 1st class travel, meal on the boat and panoramic coach on the train from Flüelen to Bellinzona (where you change for Lugano). If you do not want this package then just turn up and travel at a time that suits you. No need for any bookings.

10. Re: William Tell Express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2015, 06:24