We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic train ride in Winter

Sydney
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Scenic train ride in Winter

We would be travelling from Vienna to Venice in mid January and planning to break our journey in Switzerland for 2 nights. Hoping to experience a scenic train ride with spectacular snowy mountain view during this short stay. It would be my first trip to Europe.

Could you recommend a train ride journey that would make sense given our plan to go from Austria-Italy? There seems to be a preference towards Bernina Express? With Glacier & Golden pass, the videos I've seen are in other months so difficult to imagine how it would be in winter. I've also seen amazing video of riding small train down Mount Gruyer.

My itinerary is pretty flexible at this point & I'm open for suggestion of which town to head from Vienna. We don't ski and would be there mainly to relax & enjoy the view. We will have one big luggage each. Thank you :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,054 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic train ride in Winter

Seeing your route indeed Bernina seems most logical. Disruptions due to avalanches can happen on any mountain pass railway, hence also on the other scenic ones. I'd do Vienna-Davos or St. Moritz (2 nights) and then BE to Tirano-on to Milano - Venice.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic train ride in Winter

Thanks Erik. Seems as if Vienna - Davos is a bit farther so would look into St Moritz. Perhaps break my journey in Milano as well before heading to Venice. Would you recommend staying at St Moritz for folks who don't ski/hike?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,054 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic train ride in Winter

Hi again,

Yes for sure. Perfect 'winter atmosphere taster' with e.g. horsedrawn sledge rides in the snow around the lake and with some lucky weather even ON the lake...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,661 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic train ride in Winter

St Moritz has so many things for non skiers to do you will be spoilt for choice (also for food!)

But - best route Vienna to Switzerland is on the direct train that runs Vienna/Salzburg/Innsbruck/Zürich. This is also extremelx scenic in the section Innsbruck/Zürich as it runs through the Arlberg mountains. It is a LONG ride (8+ hours I think) so spending a night in Zürich on arrival is almost unavoidable. You could, if you wish, get off the train at Buchs and go to Chur. Spend the night there. This would avoid going all the way north to Zürich. From Chur to St Moritz you have your choice of normal Rhätischebahn trains OR Glacier Express OR Bernina Express. They all run over the same lines. From St Moritz to Venice - Bernina Express to Tirano, change there for Milano Centrale and there change for Venice.

All train times etc - www.sbb.ch/en

5. Re: Scenic train ride in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2014, 22:42
6. Re: Scenic train ride in Winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 06:16