We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European Holiday help - Zurich to Wengen

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
European Holiday help - Zurich to Wengen

Hi all,

My wife and I (mid 20s) are planning our Europe trip of approx. 19days. From September 21 to October 9. We would arrive at Zurich airport about 8.30pm and stay the night somewhere convenient. Before catching a train the next morning to Wengen.

I have done a bit of research and looking on sbb.ch this train would change at Spiez and a few more changes before Wengen. Trying to make sense of information I've read. Is there a need to pre book these train tickets at all? Or from what I have seen you just buy them at the station, at roughly what cost?

We have 3 nights planned in Wengen and would like to go up Jungfrau and experience snow in general as well as sight seeing the alps. There would be more trains involved and a return train to Spiez before we depart on an Italian train for Milan onto Rome

Would all this train travel be worthwhile buying a Swiss rail pass or half pass?

Also with this forum I suppose I post the other portions of our trip (Rome, Nice, Paris and London) in the relevant forum. As the forums are all country specific I can't find somewhere to help get an overview and opinions of what we have planned.

Look forward to peoples advice!

(PS I realise 4 days is not a lot in Switzerland but as it is my Wife's first trip to Europe we are trying to fit a bit in).

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,875 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: European Holiday help - Zurich to Wengen

Kurt, this not a lot of help but you have to do the maths, regarding the passes, only you know exactly which train trips you will be taking, usually the best choice is the half fare pass, 120chf valid for one month, Use the Swiss Rail website www.sbb.ch/en to find routes and fares. This defaults to the half fare so you either double to price you see or do a dummy booking. Buy your tickets at the station on the day especially if you do go to Jungfraujoch, it's an expensive trip and if the weather is bad don't go. Buying tickets for this in advance can be a waste of money. You will find that many trains from Zurich to Wengen via Berne mean a change in Berne rather than Spiez, the prettier way to go is to go via Lucerne, just put Meiringen in the "via" box when choosing your train time.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 13:07
New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: European Holiday help - Zurich to Wengen

Hi Kurt D !

As you yourself are aware of, 4 days is too short a time in Switzerland. However, still you can enjoy your stay there, with a bit of proper planning and luck for good weather.No need to buy Swiss rail tickets or pass in advance. They are easily available at the Swiss rail counters in Geneva and Zurich or for that matter at rail stations. As for the pass, you are the best judge. Just do the maths using excel and select the pass most suitable for you. If it involves lots of rail travel, then some Swiss pass will definitely be suitable for you.

From my experience, i had bought a Swiss saver pass for 4 days for travel between, Zurich-Rhine falls- Zurich-Interlaken-Schillthorn - Wengen - Zermatt and then on to Lausanne & Geneva for the second phase of the trip. Further, i had a family card for my son - he traveled free. So, Swiss saver pass for worth it for me.

Similarly, you can choose your own.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 13:22
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: European Holiday help - Zurich to Wengen

Thanks for your prompt replies,

I spent 1.5 days in Lauterbrunnen with a bus tour a number of years back so any more time in this wonderful area will be great!

Yes looking at Swiss Pass and Eurail Pass neither looks to quite break even against paying full fares.

With Wengen being a car free town, I suppose it is small enough to walk from train stop with heavy suitcases to accommodation or is there other means of transport?

Also are the train stations in Switzerland easy enough to follow/find platforms in good time? as some changeovers are under 10mins.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,218 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: European Holiday help - Zurich to Wengen

At Wengen station you are able to call an electric trolley from your hotel and they will transport you and bags. Or if the hotel is close just walk.

Stations are easy to navigate, all platforms have very good sign boards. The SBB site also tells you which platform you will need to go to. The train system is wonderful as all types of transport are integrated and designed for quick comnnections. No need for reservations, except the few scenic trains, just buy tickets on the day or buy a pass on arrival. You will have to do the maths.

My only comment is that you are trying to cover a lot of places in 19 days. Remember you loose arrival and departure days and also a day each time you change cities. I would cut down the cities and spend some time in the countryside. If you come to London there is so much to see outside the city. Windsor, Stonehenge, salisbury , the English seaside resorts and so much more. I'm sure the same is true of the other cities you list.

In Wengen you could easily spend 5 days or a Week there is so much to see and do.

I know you are coming a long way but sometimes less is more.

5. Re: European Holiday help - Zurich to Wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:17