We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt

Marple, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Zermatt

Hi we will be arriving on the Glacier Express and was wondering are we better staying in Zermatt or maybe Brig ? we want to go on the Gornergrat and the train to the Mattahorn ? can you advise how may days we will need , it will be my hubbys 50th on this holiday and thought Zermatt would be lovely to be here on the actual day arriving off the Glacier Express

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,701 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zermatt

Of course Zermatt, Brig is many miles further! There is no train TO the Matterhorn; both from Zermatt village and (in our view far superior) from the Gornergrat and Rothorn mountain cable car one can get views of the Matterhorn. 3 nights/2 days would be a good time to spend there.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,232 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zermatt

Zermatt! Brig is nice but is not in the mountains and is a reasonably busy business sort of town. Zermatt is very very special. (In fact we just got home from there this morning).

If you take the GEX you will arrive in Zermatt around 1700/1800 in the afternoon. Get a hotel for at least a couple of nights. You need time because the weather cannot be relied on - like in the UK for that matter! It could be just perfect but you could just as well have a rainy day with no views. Ideal for exploring the village but not good for mountain views. For example - we arrived on Wednesday morning. It was raining and rained much of the day. No Matterhorn or for that matter any other mountain in sight. Thursday, from dawn on, was clear and wonderful. Matterhorn was "dressed" in a coat of white snow/ice from the rain of the day before. And the skies were blue. Yesterday was mixed with very little view of the Matterhorn but not rain all day. So spending more than a night or two definitely increases your chance of getting the views you want.

There are many high mountains in the Zermatt area, quite a few of which (14 or so over 4000m) can be easily seen from the Gornergrat. Train up there takes 45mins and there is a hotel with restaurants, terrace etc at the top. The walking in summer down from there is also pretty good. The Klein Matterhorn (Glacier Paradise) is the other popular mountain venue for short term tourists. Cable cars - series of them - go up from Winkelmattern and at the top is an ice cave, glaciers etc. It takes longer to get up there than to the Gornergrat.

You are right - Zermatt would be indeed lovely, especially arriving on the GEX!

www.zermatt.ch for hotel booking and cross check hotels that have availability for your dates of stay with the reviews on Trip Advisor. Post any specific questions here - and probably a good idea to choose the Valais sub-forum as well.

Marple, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zermatt

Hi

Thank you it will be in Jan 2015 and Zermatt is on the List , my hubby doesnt like cable cars , so the only train is the Gornergrat ? is this the best way to see the Mattahorn ? sounds perfect , i was looking at Grindlwwald as well after here ? and Chur before this does this sound ok ? :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zermatt

Hi, the views from the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise cable car system are different than the views from the Gornergrat which are different than the views from the Sunegga/Rothorn lift system. At the top of the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise cable car, there is a viewing platform that looks away from the Matterhorn but out over the tops of Alps in Switzerland, France and Italy and you feel as if you are on top of the world - it's just fantastic if you love mountains. You can also see the Matterhorn from the top but you have to go around the lift station to the entrance of the ice cavern.

If you have time to do all three, please do! If only two, I think the Gornergrat and the Matterhorn Paradise are the best but others would disagree. If only one, I'd have to flip a coin on the day and would judge from the webcams and weather on the Zermatt station on the TV because it can be significantly different on any given day - windy, cooler, warmer, and even raining on one and not the other. Also, if it's cloudy in the village, check the webcams because it is often a low cloud cover and the Matterhorn is sticking out above the clouds in the sun once you get up above the clouds on any of the lift systems. That can be a unique and wonderful experience!

Hope this helps.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zermatt

I was writing while you posted so didn't see the info about your husband's dislike of cable cars. That limits him to the Gornergrat and to the Sunegga as it is an underground funicular (fondly called the Bakerloo line of Zermatt) but he won't be able to go above Sunegga.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,232 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zermatt

the view from the Gornergrat is stupendous so your husband shouldn't feel badly about missing the view from the Klein Matterhorn - and he shouldn't have any problem with the train. Nor with the lovely terrace at the top. It is not at all "vertiginous" and you can sit outside the restaurant having a meal or a drink - and drink in the views!

Marple, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zermatt

Hi

Thank you so much for all your reply, I might do the cable car as I don't mind :) and im sure he wont might having a beer somewhere whilst I do this :)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,232 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zermatt

Maybe he could get partway up? There is a nice restaurant "Simi" slightly downhill from the first stop on the cable cars at Furi. You could leave him there - he could have a beer (and lunch) and you could join him there afterwards. To make things easy - there is a lift from the cable car station down to the road.

Cable car Winkelmattern to Furi is barely above the tree tops. And sometimes alongside!

Edited: 06 July 2014, 19:37
Marple, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Zermatt

Hi

Ok I will look into that , thank you so much , I think my plan is coming together , ive changed a few places thanks to every ones help , im getting there LOL

10. Re: Zermatt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:15