We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flight in Zurich

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Connecting Flight in Zurich

Hi everyone! I'll be on a flight from Munich - Zurich and from Zurich - Singapore.

The connecting time is only 50mins.

Will there be sufficient time for me to hop onto the flight back to Singapore?

Will I need to clear the customs to re-enter?

Both flights are by Swiss Air - i'm hoping that would be an advantage.

However Swiss Air themselves recommended me not to get this flight as "the connecting time is less than an hour and is not recommended".

Please advise.. Thank you!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,696 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

Coming from Munich and transferring to a flight to Singapore you have to go through Passport Control as you leave Schengen at Zürich airport. this can take a few minutes. Your baggage will be checked through to SIN and you will not have to deal with it is ZRH. But you will also have to get from the inbound aircraft in the Schengen sector to the non-Schengen gates at island E which involves a mini train transfer. (people mover, really). if Swiss (not "Swiss Air" which no longer exists!) says that this is a tight connection and you should take an earlier flight then I would believe them! Ask to be re-booked on the flight Munich-Zürich that leaves before the one you are on. Even if you have to spend several hours sitting in the ZRH airport it is better than missing your connection to SIN !!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

Thanks Hambagahle for your reply!

Another option provided by my tour agency was the 5pm flight but connecting time is 5hrs in Zurich Airport.

I have a tour that morning and am travelling alone so that would not be ideal.

Although it might be rushing, and there's a possibility of missing my flight, do you think it is do-able? I read on the Zurich Airport website that it takes abt 20-30mins to reach Island E.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,043 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

Yes it's _not impossible_ but not very likely, maybe 60% chance that you make it. And in the remaining 40%, and even higher chance that your luggage does not 'make' it, the next flight to SIN is probably 24 h later so the damage is a lot more than when this would happen on an inbound long-distance flight and a short-distance connection...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,696 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

Having gone through the Schengen to non-Schengen (for a trans-Atlantic flight) I think it would be better to allow more than 40mins connecting time. First - if you are in Economy on the inbound flight it can take 15mins to get off the plane. And Landing time doesn't count taxi time to the gate. Second - you need to then walk to the "train" to the Island E gates and if, like us, you just miss a train it will take another 4-5 mins till you get onto one.

5 hours is Zürich is just about enough time to pop into town and at least see something of the city. And that is not all bad either!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

Thanks for your replies!

I have decided that 1 hour is too big a risk to take as buying another ticket (if I miss my flight back to SIN) so last minute would cost a bomb.

My flight will land in Zurich around 6pm and my next flight is at 10.45pm. I would probably need to be in the airport by 9-9.45pm.. Do you think there's enough time to pop by a town?

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

Hi !

50min is too short a time. I had given a similar opinion, on another post to someone who had a 40 min layover.

There are too many extraneous things which may cause delays. And you cannot afford them. So, better go with Hambagahle's advice and spend your 5 hrs touring Zurich. Just check Zurich forum posts.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

Hi,

I think you are wise to change you ticket. Recently family members took a direct flight from USA to Zurich. The flight took off on time from USA. However, the weather over Zurich was not so good and the flights were late and their plane circled over Zurich for almost an hour! So, I would never depend on a fifty minute connection for an international connection...no matter how efficient the airport is! You don't know what will be happening in Munich, nor do you know what the weather will be like?

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

If the plane is delayed and you miss your connecting flights because of that, then it is their responsibility and you will be a Swiss guest and they will have to get you to your next destination.

You are sure that both flights are booked by Swiss? And none is just a code share?

When in your flight from Munich, tell the cabin crew know that you are connecting to Singapura.

They sometimes arrange ( or you can ask them to arrange) for someone to pick you up in your arrival gate and bring you to the departing gate.

You will be all the time in transit.

Normally flights wait for passengers, especially if their luggage is on the plane and yours will be. Else Swiss would not sell the flight like that.

Ask also, swiss what happens if you do miss the flight out of your own fault. Is your ticket on flexible rates?

Edited: 09 July 2014, 14:15
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

OP, as Swiss say this connection is too short you are not guaranteed that they will put you on the next available flight with seats. If you choose this connection you will need to check if they will put you on the next flight or you are taking the risk yourself. Do also remember that there may not be seats on the next flight you could have to wait several days, who knows unlikely but it has to be understood.

Flights don't generally wait for passengers so don't bank on that. On short connections it is often the luggage that doesn't make the connection.

It really is too short a connection and you would be better to get an earlier flight. There are too many variables.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,696 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connecting Flight in Zurich

Back to Post #5 from OP Michelle - which everyone seems to have ignored!

Michelle - if you land at ZRH at 6pm (with your bags checked through to SIN) simply walk through customs (no Immigration at this point) and out of the airport. Take the next train into town - Zürich HB station. Then walk along the Bahnhofstrasse and to the Lindenhof. There is a Tourist Office in the main station where you can get a map IF it is still open abot 1900 when you get there. Otherwise - be prepared! - download a map from the internet.

from the Lindenhof walk to the Storchengasse and then to the Fraumunster. Should be open. See the Chagall windows. Then depending on time left, walk over by the Rathaus bridge and back along the opposite side of the Limmat to the station Have a snack somewhere along your walk.

Take a train from the HB to the airport NO LATER than 2100 (check train times AND platforms before leaving the station when you arrive there earlier). then back to the airport. Back through security (you will already have your boarding pass) and to the gate.

IF your carry on(s) are not easy to carry (!) check them at the airport station before going into town. there are lockers there (coin operated so have coins (CHF) available)

Hope this helps you sort things out. And I don't know why your post saying that you have decided to arrive earlier was missed...