We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
780 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

I will be spending a 5-6 days in Seitzetland after our 6 days Italy trip. I have been browsing but seems it's quite confusing of the route in Switzerland, I may just have to leave it to private coach to take care the 6 of us in these few days. Anyone who has hired private coach in Seitzerland do share your info please, thank you.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

Hi ! Switzerland is best seen by Rail and there is no reason why you cannot take one. It may seem confusing to you initially, but now that you have browsed and am assuming are aware of the locations/attractions that you may be interested in, please work out a rough cut itinerary and post it here.

You will get good suggestions.

Private coach will be quite expensive and does not leave you with the leverage of flexibility.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

No matter what means of transportation you decide to use, as Rajiv has stated, Switzerland has many destinations so we need to know what areas you want to cover before we can advise you?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
780 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

Thank you so much you guys !

I am in fact find myself extremely clueless & I am deeply appreciate you all willingness to help!

I will post my itinerary & hope still able to work it out by November.

Please allow me to revert very soon.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

As you think about your itinerary, be aware that a private coach for 6 adults and their luggage and a driver for the coach will likely cost in the area of at least 1,000 Swiss francs per day if not more, possibly a lot more. You can get some ideas by doing a google search for private coach tours. By comparison a Swiss Rail pass is 662 francs per person in 1st class for all six days! So a private coach will run at least 6000 francs (probably not including the driver's meals, parking costs, etc.) and 1st class rail that includes a lot of local transportation, mountain transportation (not included with a coach!), and more, will cost about 4000 francs. Even if you add taxis to and from the rail stations, you aren't spending anything like as much!

Edited: 16 July 2014, 18:28
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
780 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

Thank you so much for your information, I totally agreed with your idea, I shall work out more on our own rather than with tour.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
780 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

Dear all,

So I am here really seeking help.

Since we will be travelling from Italy (Milan) to Switzerland after a 7 days 6 night in Italy, we will be having another 6 days in Switzerland, so we try not to be greedy as my kids really wish to view glacier which is luxury for us from tropical.

I have been posting in this forum as well to Switzerland tourism but I kinda of lack of idea of how to go about.

Our main purpose to be in Switzerland could be doing pedestrian skiing, we are not expert, and may not be doing mountain hiking, not even ski before ! So its just experience and some fun for the kids. We like to stay in one of the ski reosrt , ride a cable car and experience the stunning Nania kind of view, I went Mt. Titls once without my kids, and this time I wish to share the moment with them.

Perhaps a visit to a famous chocolate factory?

Engadin Valley could be something we would do.

I dont think we could do Montreaux Chateaux due to the distance, so its ok to let go.

May be another 2 days in Zurich before we depart from Zurich airport.

Most probably we like to take Bernina Express from Milan.

I have tonnes of question,

1. How is the Bernina express to be booked, purchase ? Where will we ended up to? ( we be depart from Milano Centrale)

2. Where will be the most convenient location/ hotel we should drop off on first day after a long travel from Milan ?

3. Which ski reosrt/Alps I should visit ? With main consideration in travelling duration and resort available.

4. It seems many type of train in Switzerland, is that any specific description for the train I should take from ski resort to town and elsewhere ?

I will post this also in another new topic as the topic for this question seem inappropriate, do hope to get as many advise as possible !!!

BIG BIG thanks !!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

It is important to know the time of year you will be here in order to answer your questions. For example you mention "pedestrian skiing" - this might mean cross country skiing as opposed to downhill skiing? If so this can only be done in the winter. And you need lessons although not as many as for downhill. Best months for cross country skiing are Dec-March. For downhill - Dec-April although there is some summer skiing in Zermatt and a couple of other high resorts. Not great skiing though and for that (downhill) you need a week of lessons to feel comfortably.

So - when???

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
780 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

Hi Hambagahle,

Our tentative arrival in Switzerland will be on the 30rd November.

I am not sure i use the right terms as "pedestrian ski". Basically we don't ski, so we just like to try out the most basic ski experience, just a half day ski for fun is good enough. Do advise if I am confusing you guys.

Thanks.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

End of November most resorts are still closed - lifts not working. And really - a day of "trying out" skiing is not a good idea. You need a week of ski school.

If you go to Zermatt you could play around in the snow. But I would not try to ski for just one day if I were you. You would be totally miserable.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
780 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Milan to Switzerland- private coach request

Hi,

Thanks for your advise, in that case we may just opt for playing with snow rather than skiing, which we won't have any chance to practice it on our country.

Talk about Zermatt , is there any cable car for us to go up to the top of the snow mountain? What is the exact name of the snow mountain there? Like in Lucerne you will have Mt. Titls, so what about here ?

Thanks !