We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Venice

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Train to Venice

if I have the swiss travel pass for 2 adult and 3 children age, 11, 7 and 5, how much will (approx) the train cost from Swiss to Venice and what is the best city from Swiss to take this train from.

It may be a long journey around 9 hours?

Travel date around 31st Aug or 1st Sep.

Thanks, Irfan

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,792 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to Venice

Hi Irfan,

The pass will only help you upto the Swiss Border. Use www.sbb.ch or www.trenitalia.it and plan from your Switzerland station. Obviously from e.g. Basel, Geneva or Zurich it's a long ride and from Brig, Chiasso and Tirano a much shorter ride hence your question is far too wide to answer. The sites above give both the travel time and the fares, sbb.ch has a way to indicate that you have Swiss pass and then only calculates the fare from the border station.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to Venice

Thank you, I checked online, seems like it will take around 7 hours from Thun in swiss where I may stay.

I could not find the option for swiss pass but applied half fare option as next closest on website and fares for 5 people are around 328 CHF.

I Am now thinking is it worth going to Venice or not.

If I don't go to venice i can spend around 8 days in Swiss and it will cost me around 600 Euro to change my flight tickets back to Qatar from Venice vs Swiss

If I go to venice, I will spend almost 7 hours in train and stay only may be 1 day and one night in venice and take the flight back.

Is Venice worth it for 1 day only? and taking such a long train,

Please note I am with kids so we are more attracted to family kids type and think Venice mainly have canels and culture and history.

thanks

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to Venice

Hi Irfan,

If you are having a Swiss Pass it will give you free travel from Thun to Domodossola.With the HFC it will be 50% fare from Thun to D. From D to Venice check the ticket prices on this site -

www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp…

I think you should be able to get discounted tickets around CHF 125 or more. ( But DO check the terms and conditions for such tickets ).

As for Venice - to visit or not - this is a subjective matter. It is a very beautiful city definitely worth the trip. But if you will be there for only one full day then perhaps you could drop the idea,esp. if as you say,your children may not be interested. But you are the best judge.

Have fun.

arvind

Edited: 20 July 2014, 12:01
4. Re: Train to Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:15