We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland's Best Cable Car + Funicular Rides

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Switzerland's Best Cable Car + Funicular Rides

Alp-ophiles: lend me your ears. And knowledge. Tell me, what are your must-do cable car and funicular rides in Switzerland?

For my upcoming visit to Switzerland I'd like to take as many noteworthy rides as possible in four days. I'm trying to narrow down the best of the best and remove any "just okay" rides from my list, since I'll have a lot of ground to cover and also cost is a concern. The locale of the rides will dictate my itinerary of mini daily road trips; an excuse to explore parts of the country I may not otherwise see. Getting there will be half the fun. I think I could fit in (and hopefully afford) three or four a day if I plot my course well; I'm not much of a lingerer. For added context, I'm a very on-the-go traveler yet not at all outdoorsy/sporty. Some prefer a nice hike at the top; I, on the other hand, prefer a nice restaurant or bar at the top. Essentially I'm looking for adrenaline-pumping rides with spectacular views, preferably sitting or standing, eating or drinking (if i'm being shamefully honest). I'll be traveling mid-October, so I realize the weather might not lend the best views, but I'm still game. My home base will be Adelboden (already did that cable car ride) plus one night in Vevey (planning on doing the Vevey-Mont Pelerin funicular).

My work-in-progress itinerary is below. Any that are outstanding? Any I could probably skip? Huge thanks in advance for all your valuable suggestions!

Day 1 - morning: Pilatus

Day 1 - afternoon: Stanserhorn

Day 2 - morning: Titlis

Day 2 - afternoon: Grimselwelt (seems like it you could spend at least half a day riding their various transport lifts and activities)

Day 3 - morning: Jungfraujoch

Day 3 - midday: Piz Gloria (been here/Murren multiple times, but bringing my significant other for the first time)

Day 3 - afternoon: Maennlichen/Grindelwald (or Maennlichen/Wengen?)

Day 3 - morning: Harder Kulm (worth it?)

Day 3 - afternoon: Niesenbahn

Day 4 - TBD

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland's Best Cable Car + Funicular Rides

Suggest you make alternate plans in case the weather is not cooperative!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland's Best Cable Car + Funicular Rides

Plan B is hanging out around our lovely hotel in Adelboden and purely relaxing. Not a bad back-up plan!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland's Best Cable Car + Funicular Rides

Being up in Adelboden doesn't make your plan very feasible and the best you could do is visit only one of the attractions around lake Luzern each day.

I would narrow your plan down to one day attraction and then on Day 2 opt for the Jungfraujoch and possibly the Maennlichen cable car in the afternoon.

Day 3 .

I would definitely recommend the Niesen funicular it is one of the longest routes in Switzerland. You could then take the boat from Spies to Beatenbucht and do the funicular to Beatenberg changing for the curious cable car to the Niederhorn. Both places give unique perspectives of the Bernese Oberland.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland's Best Cable Car + Funicular Rides

Day 2 doesn't seem feasible to me as it will take sometime to get from Engleberg (Titlis) to Handeck (Gelmermerbahn in Grimselwelt). You can see Titlis from the Grimsel valley but there is no direct road, train, or bus link. I presume you are driving between them and I guess it will take a couple of hours at least . By public transport it would take double that. I would n't do either of them from Adelboden

Be aware that the Grimselwelt lifts run to the 19 October and may not run in bad weather

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland's Best Cable Car + Funicular Rides

Staying in Berner Oberland means missing out on one of the most scenic part of Switzerland with fabulous mountain cablecars at no cost - see www.engadin.stmoritz.ch and …stmoritz.ch/sommer/en/bergbahnen-inclusive/ for the complimentary cablecar pass during summer season. By the way, there is a nice restaurant with a sunny terrace with panoramic view at all the mountain stations of the cablecars here. On Diavolezza you can even enjoy the views from a jacuzzi with your favourite drink in hand! …stmoritz.ch/winter/…

Edited: 04 August 2014, 09:45
6. Re: Switzerland's Best Cable Car + Funicular Rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2015, 06:16