We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rail passes - Will it be worth getting a flexi pass

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Rail passes - Will it be worth getting a flexi pass

Hi,

My husband and I will be visiting Switzerland for 8 days and I would like some help to decide if it is worth getting a Swiss pass for the 8 days or would it be better to buy train tickets separately while we are there.

We will go from Paris to Interlaken via TGV Lyria (first class preferably) on Sat 13/9/14. We 3 nights in Interlaken or Wengen (any thoughts on which is better?). We will go up to Jungfrau via train on one of these days when the weather is good.

The next part will be to go to from Interlaken to Lucerne via train journey (Goldenpass) where we spend 2 nights. We may want to go to Mt Titlis or Pilatus from Lucerne on one of the days.

We will then go from Lucerne to Zurich via train and will spend 2 nights where we will fly out of Zurich to Dublin.

Could anyone in the know advise if getting a swiss pass for this train itinerary would be cost effective. Also, is the Paris to Interlaken train journey partly covered by the Swiss pass?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,039 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rail passes - Will it be worth getting a flexi pass

Hi there,

Basel to Interlaken part is covered under the pass _if_ you decide to 'stamp' a day of the pass for it, might be worth the cost and might not be (the reservation fee for the TGV is same irrespective whether it's to Basel or to Interlaken).

In order to answer the question yourself you need to make a big sheet (paper or Excel), with

* One column per option (one being Flexi Pass, other being half fare card and separate train tickets)

* One row per trip you plan to make, INCLUDING any planned mountain excursions like Titlis/Pilatus/JFJ as the passes give some discount on these too

* And then the price for each option. To get good separate train ticket price click through to _2nd_ screen on the SBB site about a route, 1st screen shows the 50% discounted price as that is what most locals pay having a 1-year half fare card.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rail passes - Will it be worth getting a flexi pass

That is very interesting about the 2nd screen on SBB site, I didn't know this .

so in my case then it will be even more cheaper than I first thought as I have done exactly this myself a few weeks ago. We are coming to Switzerland for 15 days and because we are touring through 6 destinations we have purchased the Swiss Pass, I have only planned 3 panoramic train rides and including the 50% discount on the glacier express and some cable cars trips, this alone makes it cheaper than paying individually So definitely do the spreadsheet comparison :)

Wimborne, United...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rail passes - Will it be worth getting a flexi pass

Dervla R

> I would like some help to decide if it is worth getting a Swiss pass for the 8 days

I doubt it but you will have to do the maths. 8 day Swiss Saver Pass 354 CHF. Additional cost to travel to Jungfraujoch 131 CHF. All other mountain transport at half fare.

Make an itinerary and compare with the cost of the 1 month Half Fare Card at 120 CHF and all journeys, including mountain travel, at half price.

Princess_Crystal

>I have only planned 3 panoramic train rides and including the 50% discount on the glacier express

Glacier Express is fully covered by the Swiss Pass (with the exception of the reservation fee).

4. Re: Rail passes - Will it be worth getting a flexi pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:17