We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Switzerland trip mid September

6 posts
Save Topic
Switzerland trip mid September

We are planning to visit Switzerland in the second week of September for 3 night 4 days. It is our first visit to Switzerland. I and my wife with my parents (age 65/70) would be travelling. We plan to visit London 3-4 days and then Switzerland. We have some flexibility in terms of allocating days between London and Switzerland.

Wanted to know hows the weather early-mid september and whether it.rains a lot in September. Whether one do the mountain trips (Mt Titlis/Jungfrau/Pilatus) if it rains. Also would Switzerland be scenic this time of the year (as I understand snow would have melted by now).

What would be a recommended iternary for 3 nights 4 days. ( We prefer a relatively less hectic trip, visit 2-3 locations given my elderly parents).

Also should we stay in Interlaken or Lucerne or Zurich.

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

TianBha,

Welcome to Trip Advisor and the Switzerland Forum.

For the time you will be in Switzerland...and I assuming you are flying to Zurich?? This may not be the case? But if it is...then I would go the Lucerne for the short amount of time you will be there. We have no idea what the weather in reality will be like! Therefore, I would base myself in an area that has alternatives for poor weather. Lucerne is perfect!

It is a small, charming city. Beautiful old city! Lovely lake, very scenic. Trip excursions to Rigi, and Titlis are quite accessible by public transport.

http://www.luzern.com/en/index.cfm

Things to do in Lucerne

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188064-Activiti…

Check www.sbb.ch tis the Swiss Railroad website...do check it out for schedules.

Have a great trip!

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

Hi, September is a great month to visit Switzerland generally. The August crowds are gone and the weather can be perfect, with the slight crisp of autumn beginning in the mountains. It can rain of course, but September isn't especially rainy as a rule. But with mountain weather always be prepared for the unexpected.

3 nights is a very short stay, and you might prefer just one base. I agree, Lucerne is a good option. It is only an hour from Zurich airport and you can experience not only the charm of the city, but also the lake and surrounding mountains - Pilatus and the Rigi. For economy of travel within the area, the Tell Pass might suit you best. See http://www.luzern.com/en/tell-pass

Another suggestion - If you can arrange a late afternoon or early evening return flight (is it back to London?) instead of taking the most direct train route back to the airport, you might enjoy taking a boat across Lake Lucerne to Fluelen - a nostalgic paddle steamer would be perfect if the schedule fits -, and if you are on a "William Tell" boat, you will also have commentary. It is really a beautiful journey. From Fluelen you can catch a train to Zurich and on to the airport. If you fly with Swiss, you can also check in at Lucerne Train Station, check your luggage in with "fly rail" and keep only your hand luggage for your final day.

You mention Interlaken. Its attraction is its proximity to the Jungfrau region. That is spectacularly scenic, and if the idea of staying in an idyllic car free village in the Swiss mountains appeals, then consider Wengen instead of Lucerne. See http://wengen.ch/ Or Lauterbrunnen in the valley between Wengen and the equally enchanting Muerren is a good September choice. http://mylauterbrunnen.com/

It is a walker's paradise but your parents don't have to do much walking to appreciate the area. The transport system is fantastic and the air is like champagne.

In case you can stretch to 5 nights, you can combine Wengen and Lucerne. The train ride connecting the two areas is quite lovely and this combination is popular with first time visitors.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 02:31
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

Many Thanks very helpful. In case we extend it by another night ie is a 4 night stay, would you recommend staying at two places or can we do Jungfrau or any other attractions you recommend from Lucerne. We shall be flying in from London. Our flight back to India is from Zurich.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

TianBha I would not suggest doing Jungfraujoch from Lucerne, you woud be better off going to Mount Titlis if you want snow, about an hour from Lucerne, takev the train t Engleberg and then a series of cable cars from Engleberg to Klein Titlis, there are also Pilatus and Rigi near Lucerne but they are unlikely to have snow on them in September.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

Hi again,

If this is a kind of "once in a lifetime" visit, then I can understand you want to fit in both Lucerne and the Bernese Oberland in a 4 night stay. BUT it is tight. It is only makes sense IF you can depart London quite early in the morning. Flying from London City rather that Heathrow is helpful. And it would also be helpful if your return flight to India is say no earlier than mid-day.

Then for example you could arrive Zurich, train to Lauterbrunnen, in the valley between Wengen and Murren - on such a tight itinerary this makes more sense to me than Wengen.

So it would be 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen, with the afternoon of your arrival, then one full day, then most of day 3 to explore.

The trip to the Jungfraujoch takes a long time. Only consider it if the weather is clear and the snow experience is important to you. Don't forget there are many other options in the area, including Murren and the Schilthorn above it, Schynigge Platte, approached by cogwheel train from nearby Wilderswil, and the area around and above Wengen. And also a lovely flat walk in the valley passing the stupendous waterfalls including the Trummelbach.

Then on day 3 you can take an afternoon train to Lucerne on the goldenpass route, say departing Lauterbrunnen at 15:33 and arriving in Lucerne at about 6, in time to check in and enjoy the evening exploring the old city. You then have 2 nights in Lucerne, so the evening of arrival plus one full day. This would work IF you have the time to take a morning train to Zurich airport in time for required check in, so check the sbb website for train times.

You also have lots of options in Lucerne. You could take a boat (hopefully paddle steamer) to Vitznau across Lake Lucerne, cogwheel train up to Rigi Kulm (all included in rail pass) then return down to mid-station Rigi Kaltbad for a little walk, admire the view, maybe picnic or stop for drinks. Then return down to either Vitznau or Weggis - both are lakeside villages with ferries docking. If you can get to Alpnachstad from there with time permitting, you might be able to fit in both Rigi or Pilatus in one day. Or you can make time for Mt Titlis above Engelberg.

Remember Swiss weather is never guaranteed. Both areas have great rainy day options just in case.

I hope this makes sense and that you find something that works well for you.

sf

Edited: 17 August 2014, 00:26
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

We may arrive at Zurich 13:30. Plan to stay 4 nights including the day of arrival. Plan to go to London by BA on 5th day.

How far would be interlaken/Lauterbrunenne from zurich and also from Lucerne. So the day of arrival can we consider going to these places. Stay for a day and take a golden pass back to Lucerne?

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

Do you mean Zurich airport? The timetable is on http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html Be sure to specify Zurich airport. There are direct trains hourly to Lucerne (no change of train, which you might find easiest) and it only takes about an hour.

A day trip to the Jungfrau area is not feasible from Lucerne or from Zurich.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 23:12
London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

Hi again,

For all sorts of reasons, in your situation I think you are better off with one base in Lucerne for 4 nights rather than try to add on the Jungfrau area.

For one thing a 4 day Tell Pass for the Lucerne region costs just a little more than a 2 day one. It covers a large and beautiful region. I can easily see getting great value in 4 days. For example,

1. You can take a nostalgic paddle steamer on Lake Lucerne. You can even take the boat which goes right across the lake to Fluelen as part of the famous William Tell Express, leaving Lucerne at just after 9 a.m. Then get a train back to Lucerne, arriving just before 2 p.m. a very relaxing and beautiful morning, with time left to explore Lucerne itself.

2. You can take a boat to Vitznau then a cogwheel train up to Rigi Kulm for beautiful views, then gentle walking from Rigi Kaltbad. Maybe with an early start and fine weather, you can continue by boat to Alpnachstad then take the cogwheel train up to Mt Pilatus - but both in one day might be too hectic.

3. You can take the goldenpass train route to Brienz on Lake Brienz. interlaken.ch/de/ferien-in-brienz-axalp-schw… It is a village typical of the Bernese Oberland, very charming, not unlike Wengen or Murren. The Ballenberg Open Air Museum is nearby.

4. If you want to experience a glacier, you can all take the train to the ski resort of Engelberg, maybe leave your parents to enjoy a view on a terrace while you go up to Mt Titlis for an hour or so.

And there are further options as you will see with the map for the Tell Pass.

You will experience Swiss lakes, mountains, charming city, and villages. If it's a less hectic itinerary you are looking for, this would work in my view. I hope this helps, and good luck.

sf

Edited: 24 August 2014, 02:29
9. Re: Switzerland trip mid September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 06:17