We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

We are visiting Swiss on 25th October to 1st November having our base at Haute Nendaz. We are a family of 5 including 2 eldely parents and 2+year kid. Please advise us on the best places to visit and ways and means to reach those places from nendaz. I have an international driving license. Is it good option to hire a car and roam around in October? What about the train option?

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,233 Reviews
from US$160.40*
Likely To Sell Out
Mount Titlis Full-Day Sightseeing...
1,041 Reviews
from US$166.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Swiss Alps Tour: Jungfraujoch and...
359 Reviews
from US$255.00*
Likely To Sell Out
Jungfraujoch: Top of Europe Day Trip...
1,048 Reviews
from US$255.00*
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,262 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Things will be very very quiet in Nendaz at the end of October and getting there and back by public transport is a hassle. So yes, it is best to rent a car. The road up to Nendaz is not hard to drive - you go up from Sion. You could consider parking the car at the Sion station and taking trains from there if you like - parking is 3frs/hour and spaces are not easy to get.

From Nendaz for a one day excursion you can drive to:

Martigny

Montreux

Vevey

Bern

Zermatt

Ober Goms

Gruyères and Broc Fabrique for the Chocolate Factory

Kandersteg and lake Thun (via car train)

Aosta, Italy via the St Bernard tunnel

Lago Maggiore, Italy, via the Simplon pass

Lötschental

Val d'Hérens (les Haudères, Arolla, Evolène)

Val d'Anniviers (Grimentz, Zinal, St Luc, Chandolin)

Montana Crans

Mentioned in this post
Aosta
Aosta
Valle d'Aosta, Italy
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Hi Hambagahle,

Thanks for the reply. Could you put more light on info like the weather in general, availability of indian food

and the place Nendaz locality. we are staying in residence mont calme. do you know this hotel?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,262 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Late autumn weather varies a lot but expect temperatures in Nendaz to be below freezing at night and a high of maybe 8-10 in the daytime. Could be lower. It rains as well and if it is freezing then of course this is snow. Last year we had snow even down here in October. That is unusual though.

I don't know the Résidence Mont Calm but I do know it is right next to a bus stop and the post office. Nenedaz itself is not the nicest resort in the Valais... it sprawls up a long hill and getting about isn't all that easy. For Indian food - you won't find any Indian restaurant in Nendaz and I am not sure that there is one in the entire Canton. There is a restaurant at the station in Ardon (between Sion and Martigny) that people say has OK Indian food but I haven't tried it. I cook my own Indian food so I don't need to. For other places in Switzerland see the Traveller Article on Indian and vegetarian food... If you click on "is there any Indian food" in the Top Questions about Switzerland on the right of this page you will get to it. If you are looking for an Indian grocery store there is a quite good one in Fully which is near Martigny. Right next to the Post Office in a small commercial centre. You have to go into the centre to find it. It is called l'Espace Asiatique and is run by a south Indian. I get most of my spices there.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Many Thanks, Hambagahle :)

Nice information, well in detail.

Cheers,

Jim

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Dear Hambagahle, How are you today? Hope everything is fine at your side. We have few more questions on the Swiss visit we scheduled for end of this month.

Since it would be rainy and snowy, is it possible and practical to drive from Haute Nandaz to Interlaken? I know it is quite far, would you prefer to suggest train from Sion to interlaken either? Our plan is to visit Jungfruau and Brienz from interlaken. Is it possible to visit all this places in a day. What about taking boat service to Brienz from Interlaken? and how is it, would it be a good experience? What are the attractions at these places?

And another thing is about cable car.Which cable car service would be the convenient nearest to Nendaz? Any alternative suggestion on Glacier Express as it would be closed by the time we reach there.

Awaiting for your posts,

with best regads and thanks in advance,

Jim

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,262 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

It might be rainy and snowy - or it might not! But in any case if you are to drive to Interlaken from Nendaz where will you rent a car from? Probably Sion in which case the easiest route is via Gampel, Goppenstein and the car train to Kandersteg and then down to Interlaken. The road is OK - couple of hairpin bends near Goppenstein. But I do not think you can do this trip in one day IF you plan to include the Jungfraujoch as well. Plus boats on lake Brienz stop at the end of the summer season - you would need to check the schedule before planning on this one. www.bls.ch Do not confuse lake Brienz with lake Thun (boats on Thun continue to run all winter). And if you drive to Interlaken you will have to either take a boat round trip OR boat one way train one way so you can get back to your car.

At the time you will be here I think it safe to say that none of the Nendaz cable cars will be operating. They stop sometime in October and start up again for the winter season. You are not going to find Nendaz a great base for what you want to do - and since I think you are probably stuck with it, you'll need to revise your list of day trips!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Hi every one we are visiting switzerland on 25 oct. we wants to have cable car travell experience. can anyone suggest the best and possible one. We r staying in haute nendez.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
40,262 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Highly unlikely you will find one operating in nendaz at that tme of year but you could check the Télénendaz website...

The cable car to the Klein Matterhorn in Zermatt should be operating. That you can check on www.zermattbergbahnen.ch Zermatt is roughly 3 hours from Nendaz by bus/train via Sion and Visp.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Thank you for the reply):

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit and means to reach there from Haute Nendaz

Hello All,

Many thanks to all who posted on our query and especially to Hambaghale, whose responses were very prompt and useful. It was an awesome experience and weather was excellent, unbeleivably pleasant. we expected a lot of rain and snowy, but it was quite sunny and beautiful. thanks again for the help.