We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emergency itinerary change due to weather

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Hello everyone, I had a pretty solid itinerary. My base is Lucerne from 23-29, then Murren from 29-31 finally from 31-2 from Zurich. My Murren stay is pointless now due to the weather, I am considering changing it to interlaken from 29-31? Is this a good idea?

Thanks!

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

IF you have the option of changing, and the weather is really poor, I would look at possibly staying in Bern!

Here are some possibilites of what you can do there.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188052-Activiti…

It is also possible to reach the Jungfrau Region from there is you suddenly have a dramatic change in Forecast.

Good Luck!

Edited: 26 August 2014, 19:49
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Indeed the weather forecast for this weekend is not wonderful. Bern is a good option but not for 3 days.

Think maybe about somewhere on a lake - Interlaken is not! and is not a great place. Maybe Brienz? Thun? One of the small villages on the north side of lake Thun like Oberhofen? From there you can get to bern for a day. Choose the worst weather day because Bern is a great "bad weather" destination. And on a better day take a boat and go maybe to the Beatus caves, or over to Spiez or to Brienz and Ballenberg. Even in the rain you are inside quite a bit at Ballenberg though you will need an umbrella.

FYI Sunday is supposed to be a "better" day than Saturday....

Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,386 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Hi SPEEDERZNY

...If you can find somewhere to stay... then head SOUTH - get yourself to Ticino for the weekend!

The bad weather is on the north side of the alps at the moment. In 3hrs you can be on the south side and the forecast there is very nice (no rain - mid 25C+)

For larger places check out Lugano or Locarno,... if you want to see some real amazing landscape head to the Verzasca Valley (Sognono, Brione) or the Maggia Valley (Maggia, Cevio).

It is a 3.5 hr ride back to Zurich from Lugano - and the scenery along the way is also well worth the trip.

Good luck.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Hi SPEEDERZNY

In wet weather I usually visit a gorge - the Aare Gorge near Meiringen was spectacular when I visited it in pouring rain last September!

Susan

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Thank you everyone for the info. Would it be safe to say, the top of europe tour would not be worth it?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

No - never safe to say that! there could be a break in the clouds which would mean great views AND there could also well be fresh snow up there which means wonderful mountain pictures. You just cannot tell in advance. On the day of travel - probably. With 100% certainty in the mountains - not unless we have an Azores high pressure in the eastern Atlantic and that has not happened for a long time this year.

(Azores high pressure here is just like a Bermuda High in the eastern USA)

Edited: 27 August 2014, 08:30
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Ok, thats a relief. Today we will do the Pilatus tour. Then we are left with the top of europe tour(Jungfauoch) and Gstaan/Saanen. Looks like I missed the cancellation date for my hotel, oh well.

Edited: 27 August 2014, 23:34
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Looks like you will be OK. Last night's TV weather report on the RTS indicated an Azores high at least until Tuesday. Keep your fingers crossed and enjoy your sightseeing!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Thank you. It's sunny with fog. But when the fog clears a little those mountain peaks are beautiful!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,679 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emergency itinerary change due to weather

Perhaps even more beautiful with the fog than on a totally clear day...very "chinese" in fact!!