We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

Hastings, New...
12 posts
Save Topic
HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

Hi there

We are taking our two 9year olds to Switzerland in late December this year. We have planned to stay in Lucerne and Interlarken for 3 nights each. Due to the short time frame we are unsure on what day trips we should do. We thought maybe from Lucerne we could visit Mt Pilatus and Mt Titlis. Not sure if this is practical or not or if there are other things we should do instead that could be better.

For Interlarken we thought of going to Mt Schilthorn, taking a day trip to Bern, and visiting the St Beatus Caves.

Basically We want to see pretty villages, and would love to be able to go sledging/play in the snow!!

If anyone could give us some alternatives or any advice/ideas at all we would be MOST great full.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,719 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

Hi Fiona C and welcome on the forum

Lucerne

Look at the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) for many ideas of excursions you can do.

Mt. Pilatus, Stanserhorn and the roundtrip over Brienzer Rothorn will not be available in December for safety reasons. Other mountain excursions depend on the weather which we can not predict as far in advance.

I would recommend a roundtrip over Mt. Rigi - www.rigi.ch - and a cruise on lake Lucerne - www.lakelucerne.ch (for example to Flueelen and back by boat or train). A visit of the Glasi - www.glasi.ch - at Hergiswil, of the Swiss Knife Museum at Brunnen would be easily possible.

In December Lucerne will be eluminated for Christmas. Spend some time there. If you would visit the Glacier Garden - www.gletschergarten.ch - at Lucerne the kids would enjoy the mirror labyrinth. The Transport Museum - www.verkehrshaus.ch is one of the best interactive museums worldwide (do not forget the kids).

To find the Lucerne forum pleas click on the arrow on top of this site and choose the Lucerne forum where you find a lot of information about the forum.

I would not stay at Interlaken but go to one of the mountain towns (for example Grindelwald) which are more attractive - see www.myjungfrau.ch -.

Happy planning

pore

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

As Far as Interlaken goes, I myself would not stay there. It is a good location for day trips to other places. However, most folks who come to Interlaken are mainly interested in exploring the Jungfrau Region. The Villages of Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, Murren and Grindelwald. I would look for a room in one of these areas. I always prefer Lauterbrunnen because it is logistically easier to go between the two mountains which on one side has Wengen/Jungfrau and on the other Murren/Schilthorn. If the weather is good it is an exceptional place to be.

In December, at the higher elevations there will likely be sufficient snow for your wish to go sleighriding!

www.jungfrauregion.ch

Have a wonderful trip!

Hastings, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

Thank you both so very much for your replies. We are still a bit confused though.

I googled Mt Pilatus and apparently you can get to the top in December via a cable car so it must not be closed!!....so we thought have one day looking around Lucerne old town and visiting the lion monument and chapel bridge etc. one day visiting Mt Titlis and the third day visiting Mt Pilitus. Can you please tell me if we will see any nice villages or the lakes on our journeys to these two mountains?

As for the other 3 days you both say to stay in one of the villages instead of interlarken. Lauterbrunnen looks nice from what I've seen online. If we stayed 3 nights in lauterbrunnen, would we have enough time for a day trip to any of the other four mountain villages in the Jungfraujoch area, visit Mt Schilthorn, go up to 'top of Europe? Would we travel through any of these villages to get to the top of the mountains?

We also wanted to fit in a visit to St Beatus Caves, do you think this would be possible and from where? Do you think we are trying to fit in too many mountain visits? If so, what ones should we not bother with?

We really do appreciate your opinions. It is very difficult to plan this trip from New Zealand!

Kind regards

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,719 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

Hi Fiona C

Unfortunately there will be no cable car to Mt. Pilatus next winter as a new one is under construction until spring (when depends on the weather) - see Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) and www.pilatus.ch -.

On your way to Mt. Titlis you will pass Engelberg which has a great monastery (with show cheese making) and all the places along the railway line - see www.sbb.ch/en -. A stop at Hergiswil for a visit of the glass factory and Museum - www.glasi.ch - would be great.

On your way to or from Mt. Rigi there is a thermal bath at Rigi-Kaltbad (small car free village) and of course Vitznau and/or Weggis.

From Lauterbrunnen you would travel via Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and from there up to the Jungfraujoch. You can do a roundtrip Lauterbrunnen - Wengen - Grindelwald - Interlaken Ost - Lauterbrunnen which is very nice.

On your way to Schilthorn you would pass Muerren.

For the Beatus caves you would go down to Interlaken Ost and take the bus to the caves from there. This takes about one hour one way. Unfortunately they will be closed up from October 28th until spring next year. Also the Aar Gorge will be closed in December.

Mountain villages are always great if the weather fits. I would recommend you go for it but have a plan B for bad weather.

pore

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

My personal opinion, with the least intention of not confusing you any further:

In December, you will have less of sun in Lauterbrunnen because it has high imposing cliffs on both sides.

However, Murren and Wengen are high up on the sides of this valley, they get good sun on lucky days. So, during winters, i would prefer to stay in areas which get sun and in turn uplift the mood and the spirits.

Fog and lack of sun makes the mood gloomy.

Others may differ on this, but this is my view. Stay up in any of the villages. Even Grindewald will be good.

New Delhi, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

Correct " least intention of not confusing you any further:"

to " least intention of confusing you any further:"

7. Re: HELP!!!! First time in Switzerland (Lucerne and Interlarken)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16