We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Appenzell

Beaumont, Alberta...
Level Contributor
21 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do in Appenzell

Will be stopping here for a night on a drive from Lake Como to Fussen. What is worth doing in this town? I dont want to spend $200 to see a cheese factor (if it was less I would be interested). And we'll be doing a summer luge in other areas on our trip. Is there anything worthwhile? Or shall I just eat a lot of fondue and chocolate and sleep it off in my expensive hotel!?

Mentioned in this post
Lake Como
Lake Como
Lombardy, Italy
Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

although the later sounds like the best plan for me anytime, anywhere, how do you feel about walking?

In my mind, beautiful Appenzell is worth for this: walking and taking photos

where in Appenzell, do you know that yet?

Mentioned in this post
Appenzell
Appenzell
Canton of Appenzell, Switzerland
Zuerich
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
1,421 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

Hi KatieB. Ahhh the Appenzell - beautiful, peaceful, and lots to do! Worth much more than a single night. Here are some outdoor suggestions to burn off all of that chocolate and fondue!

The local peak mountain is the Santis, complete with cable car and amazing views.

A different alternative is to go and visit the WildKirchli - A small chapel carved deep into the shear side of a mountain peak (look up: Berggasthaus Äscher-Wildkirchli) near Wasserauen. We attended a "hiking wedding" here a few years ago... it was magical!

In Jakobsbad (3 train stops = 10min east of Appenzell) there is a really great "barefoot hike". This is a hiking trail that is mostly grass meadows, but at various points there are interesting natural textures (soft wood chips, rounded stones, mud, river bed, wood planks,....) to walk along. The hike lasts about an hour and is well signposted. It is really great with kids on a warm summers day and it ends in Gonten (1 stop closer to Apzl).

Additionally there is a extremely nice and quite easy hike from Zürchersmühle (east 5 stops) up to the top of the Hundwilerhöhe where there is a very old traditional mountain hut with a small restaurant. You can then walk down from here to Gonten.

Finally from ürnasch (the local center for Appenzell traditional music!) there are a number of "walks" (more flat) that can take you to different country "Beiz's" (simple country restaurants). Walking in this area is very easy, the trails and directions are well marked and signposted, and there is a good local bus/train network so if you have a timetable you can always get home easily and comfortably.

Edited: 05 June 2013, 08:45
Mentioned in this post
Appenzell
Appenzell
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4,034 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

Appenzell the town is a small and a little sleepy. For an evening stopover, you can just grab dinner and absorb the ambience. If you have more time, I agree with above: go for a hike or take the cable car up Säntis, as canswiss suggests. If you are looking for something more urban or indoors, you can take the train to St. Gallen and visit the Abbey Library.

You can visit the cheese factory for 20CHF/family, it will just not be a personalized tour.

Mentioned in this post
Appenzell
Appenzell
St. Gallen
St. Gallen
Canton of St. Gallen, Switzerland
Abbey Library
Abbey Library
805 Reviews
St. Gallen, Switzerland
West Hollywood...
Level Contributor
307 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

Katie B, looks like my wife Lisa and I are beating the same path as you this summer!!! From Wengen we are going to Appenzell for some hiking. Lisa insisted on going to Appenzell because a) it's off the beaten path and very tranquel...b) hut-to-hut & inn-to-inn hiking is easy for planning multi-day journeys...c) that is where the book Heidi was set...

Good Journey!

~LuckyChucky

Mentioned in this post
Wengen
Wengen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Appenzell
Appenzell
USA
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

The town is very pretty and worth just strolling about and enjoying the views. We spent a very pleasant day there a few years ago. It was a Saint's day of some sort, so there was activity related to that, but you can easily stay occupied for a few hours even without that sort of activity.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

I'm going there soon! Can't wait.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,552 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

I think you are completely right, you will love it! Have lots of fun!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

Thanks for your comments about things to do in Appenzell. I head straight to Eastern Switzerland every time I go to Europe. That is my favorite place in the world, I think. Yet, all I ever do is walk around and gawk at the cute little place while I am there. I would love to go up the Santis. Can you tell me a little more specifically how to get there? I always stay in Altstaetten and ride the little train up to Appenzell. I will be there for four days, the first week of May 2014. Thanks for your help.

jb

Edited: 26 March 2014, 17:15
Mentioned in this post
Appenzell
Appenzell
Europe
Europe
World
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
92 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

John,

it's actually quite easy, though it involves 4, but very convenient changes:

From "Alstätten Stadt" with the scenic cog-wheel train (by AB) to Gais. From Gais with the Appenzeller Bahn (train) to Appenzell. And from Appenzell again with the AB to Urnäsch. There you change to a PostAuto bus to Schwägalp. Then finally a ride by cable car to the Säntis. The whole journey takes 1:52h.

Just enter the following into www.sbb.ch:

To: Säntis

http://www.saentisbahn.ch/en.html

Mentioned in this post
Appenzell
Appenzell
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do in Appenzell

Marshmellowyou,

Thanks a bunch for that information. I think I am a little too timid with the SBB website. Apparently it can give us details about very specific destinations. Never would have dreamed I could use Saentis as a destination. I am for sure going to make that trip. I lived in that for six months in the mid 60's gawking at the Saentis, when it was in view, and always wondered how to get up there. I finally managed to get to the Walensee, in the 70's, but I had a car then and I did not think about the Saentis at that time. This part of Switzerland continues to open up to me like a flower in spring. I just love the place.

Mentioned in this post
Walensee
Walensee
57 Reviews
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Get answers to your questions about Canton of Appenzell