We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Station at Basel Airport?

Porto Alegre, RS
8 posts
Save Topic
Train Station at Basel Airport?

I will arrive at Basel airport next April, 12th, at 15h, and intend to travel immediately to Luzern.

I saw on Google Maps that there is a train station near the airport, called St-Louis-la-Chaussèe.

I would like to know if the access to that station is easy, if it is possible to reach it on foot and if there are trains to Luzern from there.

Thanks.

Haverhill, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

It's much easier to exit the airport through the Swiss side and take the bus to Basel SBB. The journey is about 15 minutes and stops outside the main entrance. You can buy a through ticket from the airport to Luzern or if you have a transport pass this is valid.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

You take Bus 50 from the airport to the SBB station in town. It is easy to find and doesn't take long. (Around 20 mins).

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

The journey to Basel SBB is 17 minutes

The bus intervals are 7 min from depart to depart

The bus stop is 30 meters from the exit

Tickets for Lucerne can be bought at the railway desk 20 meters behind customs control and exit door.

The taxi fare to Basel SBB is around 40 Francs.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
38,904 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

Now what could possibly be easier?!! Maetlzi has given you all the info - and you can just take the bus to the train!!

(Maetzli - we mised you on Saturday!!)

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

Sorry, Dear

I'm very busy at the moment. Next time I'll join you. Promised!

Porto Alegre, RS
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

Hello everybody.

Thank you so much for the answers. They clarified a lot.

Now I see how easy can be to take the train after arriving to Basel.

Do you think we should buy tickets from Basel to Lucerne via the Internet, in advance?

Or is it better to buy them on the day of the trip?

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

There's no need to buy tickets in advance, get them on the day from the windows or a machine at the station when you arrive.

Just for info, & in case other people read your post, the train station in St Louis is in France and convenient if you are heading in the direction of Strasbourg, Colmar or Mulhouse only. There are buses from the airport to that station too, from the French exit rather than the Swiss. If you are going to Switzerland or Germany (or a French TGV train to Paris) take the bus to Basel SBB main station.

Dubai, United Arab...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

Hi

It's very interesting reading everyones comments. I'm flying to Basel in August and then taking the train from Basel SBB main station. I will have a few hours before my train leaves. Does anyone know whether it is possible to leave your luggage at the station and have a few hours in the town. Is the station close enough to the town to be worthwhile?

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
14,046 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

All larger stations have coin-operated lockers for luggage. And the old town is about 5-7 min by tram from the station, or maybe 20 min walk

Basel / Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,716 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Station at Basel Airport?

of course it is possible. Buy at the airport a Zone 1 ticket, drop the luggage at the station and use the same ticket to go downtown with tram no 8, 10 or 11.

5 minutes to Marktplatz.

On the way back you will need a new ticket, but this time you can buy a short distance ticket (Kurzdistanz) which is cheaper, if you enter the tram again at Marktplatz.